Best Type Of Cake To Make A Naked Wedding Cake

Baking By megnet1599 Updated 21 Jan 2017 , 2:45pm by -K8memphis

megnet1599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megnet1599 Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 9

I am making my sisters friends wedding cake in March. Starting researching now. I have two questions:

1) Is there a type of cake that works best/ looks best.

2) How do you prevent it from drying out and how early can you bake it?

8 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 12:21am
post #2 of 9

Are you making a naked cake with absolutely no frosting/ganache on the outside, or one with minimal frosting/ganache? I've seen both. If it has a thin layer of frosting or ganache on the outside, it should stay moist. Otherwise, or if you want extra moist cake, use simple syrup on each layer of cake.

If you have cake recipe that's not crumbly, I'd recommend that so that you don't get lots of crumbs in your frosting if you are doing a thin layer of frosting on the outside. 

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 1:16am
post #3 of 9

Cakingandbaking is right about selecting a moist cake.  Cake with the addition of yogurt or sour cream is a good choice.  If you decide to go the simple syrup route, make sure it's a cake suited for simple syrup, like a sponge.  I like to apply sparingly while cake is still warm.  Refrigerate, then apply more the next day.  

Its best to bake a naked cake as close to event day as possible.

I like a hint of buttercream smeared between the layers. Personally, I don't like a totally bare naked cake--just looks odd to me.  for ease of applying that thin film of buttercream between the layers, use a pastry bag with big round tip and pipe a dam that's just at the very edge of your cake.  Then fill as you normally do.  When you apply the next layer, that dam will ooze out the sides just enough for you to smear the right amount between layers.

megnet1599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megnet1599 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 6:23am
post #4 of 9

It is a naked wedding cake, with buttercream and fruit filling in between the layers and fruit decorating the outside and powder sugar dusted over it all. Im just worried since it is tall that if the cake is soft it will sink, and if its hearty it will dry out.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 6:56am
post #5 of 9

A well formulated moist cake won't collapse 

if a cake is going to collapse it's going to happen during baking or when you take it out of the oven  

My go to white cake has sour cream; it's very moist, and it's never collapsed even when I cut layers from a sheet cake and stack.

As long as you have a reliable recipe, one that doesn't cup or dome you should be fine.  

A good sponge cake is sturdy. Just use simple syrup to flavor and add moisture.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 11:26am
post #6 of 9

i think a pound cake works best because a crunchy outside is a welcome thing with a pound cake -- afti had a post somewhere about trying to duplicate the "nothing but bundt" cakes and that's where i would go for those naked cakes -- brownies or a texas sheet cake for chocolate is my thought 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 9

You can also brush the outside of your cakes, the exposed sides, with a cooked/thinned down jelly or jam. Like a glaze on the outside, so it won't dry out as it sits.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9

I highly suggest using this recipe for the cake:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe    It is perfect for your needs.  And I agree w/640Cake about brushing the cake w/thinned down jelly OR piping gel.  A nice thin layer of that will keep the cake from drying out at all. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 9

y'know naked cakes are just a big pia -- seriously -- yes brushing with jam is a great fix to combat dryness --

here in elvistown i get the march of the army ants every year -- they would LOVE to come to that picnic -- colette has a picture in her book with cute ants on a cake but no these would be the real deals -- and venues, who knows what could be attracted to my juicy fruity cake -- flies alone would love a bite --

then if they want it outdoors how about some gnat swarms -- idk -- i don't like naked tier cakes -- they are more out of control than the usual out of controlness --

i think a crusting glaze made with gelatin or whatever is another idea -- 

this is what i'm saying -- get you a good plan for naked cakes and stick to it -- think about all the obstacles -- but above all charge as much or more than any other cake due to the extra effort involved --

best to all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%