Light And Easy Cream Cheese Frosting?

Baking By Miss.Reynolds Updated 20 Jan 2017 , 3:17pm by Miss.Reynolds

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 5

So I have an order for 48 cupcakes for this Saturday and I thought I had my ducks in a row but I'm starting to panic! The customer wants Cream cheese buttercream on all the cupcakes but they want the buttercream to be light. I immediately thought to sway away from powdered sugar and go with SMBC. But seeing the tutorials on how to do so and how they "carefully" place their words, I am starting to have second guesses! Does anyone know of a light cream cheese buttercream that is worthy of a cupcake? PS. The customer is picking these up on Saturday morning (11 am). They wont be devoured by children until 5 pm that evening lol. Between this time she may or may not have a refrigerator. Any suggestions will be helpful! Thanks! 

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 5

I use this all the time......very light texture, pipes well, is very stable and tastes delicious too!

!

16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature

3 cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

8 ounces Extra Creamy Dairy Recipe Cool Whip, thawed

Blend cream cheese and vanilla  until smooth.

Mix in powdered sugar until smooth.

Fold in the Cool Whip until smooth.

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 12:14am
post #3 of 5

I recommend this recipe from http://www.sweetapolita.com. Very light tasting, like you described - not tooth-achingly sweet like other cream cheese buttercreams I've tried. Also makes a great cake filling. Experiment with adding a little extra vanilla and lemon juice and you will fall in love!

1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups (190 g) confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

1/4 teaspoon pure lemon juice

Pinch of salt

1 (8oz/250 g) package cream cheese, softened

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and salt; decrease the speed to low and beat for 1 minute.

Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low, add the cream cheese and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Don’t overbeat.

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 2:23am
post #4 of 5

My cream cheese frosting is a German buttercream; I just sub half the butter for cream cheese.  Oh, and I cut the vanilla (assuming the original intent was a basic vanilla buttercream).  I noticed that if there was too much vanilla it cut into the tang of the cream cheese and seemed more like just that basic vanilla buttercream.

It's not much of a piper but I'm not into piping so I'm fine with that.  But for your basic cupcake swirls, it's very nice.  And it's NOT achingly sweet. 

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have some experimenting to do tonight! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%