Recipe Battle: Red Velvet Cupcakes

Baking By LeanneW Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:10am by -K8memphis

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 39

It's here, our first recipe battle. Did you see @Jackie 's announcement yesterday? Here is is if you missed it: https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/833620/announcing-h2h-recipe-battles

Red velvet cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting are always a winner, but we want to know which recipe "takes the cake". Recipe A starts with white cake mix and incorporates cocoa powder and balsamic vinegar for depth of flavor. Recipe B builds on a chocolate cake mix and incorporates mini chocolate chips. Both have their merits, which will be your favorite?

Recipe A: https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22508/red-velvet-cupcakes-3

Recipe B: https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7496/red-velvet-cupcakes

Here is the review process:

You make each of the two recipes exactly as written.

In the review section of each recipe write a detailed review of the taste, texture and ease of preparation.  Do not make any comparisons or references to the other recipe in those reviews.  Make sure you rate it on the 5 star rater of the recipe page.

Then come back to this forum thread and tell us which one would you make again, why did you prefer one over the other, what did you like about each recipe?

Now let's get baking.

We will announce the winning recipe on Tuesday January 24th, so make and rate the recipes by Monday January 23rd

*Last edited by Jackie on 19 Jan 2017 , 7:49pm
38 replies
Onimuoyinbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onimuoyinbo Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 39

Thank you so much for this - quite exciting.

Is there any chance we could get a recipe made from scratch and not cake mixes also as I can't eat cake mix cakes.

T

Ibadanqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ibadanqueen Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 39

This is a great idea to have cake battles and I would def love to participate but like Onimuoyinbo it would be good to also have some recipes that are made from scratch. It  is very expensive to buy box cake mixes where I live and they are also hard to find so I will have to now out of this version. Looking forward to the next battle. 

happy caking

davina 

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 39

This isn't a recipe battle, it's a taste presence test of box cake mix.  And the taste of ingredients like partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cellulose gum,  polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, distilled monoglycerides can best be described as flat metallic.

Baking with a boxed cake mix doesn't require any baking skills.  That the whole point of boxed mix--even a child can success with a box mix.   I would think that participation in a recipe battle would be in part a way to expand baking skills and knowledge.  Every time I work on a new recipe I note what failed and what succeeded.  While success is cause for celebration, failure is the teacher.  

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 39

Like a few people here, I wish there was a scratch red velvet cupcakes battle!

Gblakgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gblakgal Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 39

Love the idea! But as a few people mentioned, I do not want to try box cake recipes. How can we submit our own recipe that is competition worthy?

Thanks!

CutiePieBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieBakery Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 39

Just a thought, a cake mix is a more "controlled" variable.  Not everyone bakes solely from scratch, including some of the top cake designers who's cakes are the envy of us all! Let's not forget our manners!  Maybe a "scratch recipe " will be tested at another time.  

LeanneW Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 39

Thank you all for sharing your enthusiasm and insights. 

@Onimuoyinbo @Ibadanqueen @imagenthatnj ‍ we will have future recipes battles that include scratch cakes, frostings, fillings, even cookies. 

Here we are comparing two doctored mix recipes, rather than comparing a doctored mix to a scratch cake. I think baking with doctored mix recipes requires as much skill as scratch baking, each have their own merits. The good news is that there will be future challenges so if you don't enjoy the recipes or you're too busy to participate... just wait for the next one.

@Siftandwisk2 ‍ we'll look forward to your participation in the next one.

@Gblakgal ‍ we will have a way that you can submit recipes for battles or review in the future, thanks for ‍ your feedback. For now the battles will be between Recipe A & B as detailed above.

RainbowsEnd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RainbowsEnd Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 39

I concur with the other reviewers here. I run a bakery and box mixes have no place in it, so a traditional made-from-scratch recipe would be really nice. 

BakedByBex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedByBex Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 39

I agree with CutiePieBakey, this is a good way to start and there it sounds like there will be enough variety in the challenges that everyone at some point will feel they would like to participate. This week it's those who like to doctor up mixes and there are many that do, not everyone bakes from scratch and it's nice to include everyone.

Scooper2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scooper2 Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 1:00am
post #11 of 39

As far as the red food coloring... can I use no taste red coloring for icing? I'm wondering how much to add.. or should I use regular red food coloring.. ?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 1:27am
post #12 of 39

i won't be baking till the weekend but i read the recipes and like you. leanne, i already am leaning more toward one over the other -- but i will wait to post results --

very cool!

sewcake30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewcake30 Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 2:15am
post #13 of 39

Just wondering if the amount need to be adjusted for the chocolate cake mix recipe, because it calls for an 18.25 size mix.  And is the other recipe based on that size also?  If they do  can you give us the adjusted amounts? Thanks

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 2:19am
post #14 of 39

This sounds like fun.  What are the time constraints? 

DormCat Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 2:53am
post #15 of 39

Good question about cake box size. Also do we follow oven temps and baking times on the box?

KatieSioux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieSioux Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 39

I agree that using a boxed cake mix as an ingredient is a baking skill all its own.  One of my most requested chocolate cakes starts with a triple fudge dark chocolate cake mix, with additions of flour, sugar, sour cream, coffee, flavorings, and more.  It holds its own against my pure from scratch recipes and is one I am just as pleased to present.  

Bunbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunbabe Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 5:27pm
post #17 of 39

Hi,

over here in the U.K. It's hard to get hold of the cake box mixes used in this challenge.  I don't even know what vanilla pudding mix is... dream topping... angel delight?  Anyone?

I make all of my cakes from scratch and would have loved to submit mine for others to have a go and tell me if it translates well or not. 

Alas. 

Tina

good luck to everyone trying these. I hear finding the perfect red velvet is worth its weight!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 39

We'll just have to wait for the scratch battles, Bunbabe. In 2010, Cake Central had scratch-off battles. If you google "The Great Scratch-Off", you can find the links to all of them. But I don't think we got to do a red velvet. That's why I was interested in this one!

LeanneW Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 6:39pm
post #19 of 39

@Scooper2 ‍ I always use no-taste red!

@sewcake30 @DormCat ‍ Thank you for bringing this up! there are 2 ways to adjust for smaller box mixes. The first is to add the additional 3 ounces of cake mix, so this means buying a second box. The second is to add 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour to the smaller box mix. whichever method you choose, you would do the same to both recipes. I'll go make a note in each recipe! 

@KatieSioux ‍ Thank you for your positive feedback about doctored mixes. Each of us has our preferences and prejudices, but you can't deny that WASC is a VERY popular recipe. When I had my cake shop I baked from scratch, because I prefer it, but also because of economics. My husband always preferred box mixes over my scratch cakes. I even tried to re-make his childhood birthday cake from scratch, (it's a yellow cake mix soaked with strawberry jello, topped with cool whip), he hated the scratch version!

Also, the winning recipe will be announced on Tuesday January 24th, please rate each recipe, add your comments, then come into this thread and share your comparisons by Monday evening January 23rd.

Bunbabe Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 7:28pm
post #20 of 39

Thanks for the heads up imaginethatnj. I will take a look. 

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunbabe Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 39

Yeah thanks Jackie for the missing link. I have spent 'quite a while' reading the yellow cake and chocolate cake great scratch off threads.  Really interesting stuff. 

I very nearly responded to someone who in regards to the next challenge, wanted to try Mich Turners carrot cake from her spectacular cakes book. I have tried that one and although it has complex flavours due to the amount of ingredients it uses, it does tend to be dense. I suppose it's more like a British fruit cake than the tender crumbed sponge like texture that I prefer. 

So for that reason I'd give it a 6 out of 10. 

Gee if only I responded in the proper thread it could help someone but then I'd be 7 years too late.   The joy of getting on board long after the boat has sailed!

sewcake30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewcake30 Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 11:30pm
post #23 of 39

Thanks for your help!

Bunbabe Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 11:33pm
post #24 of 39

Aww you're very welcome. 

debz3163 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debz3163 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 8:06pm
post #25 of 39

Like many others, I don't consider using box cake mixes is 'baking', it's not really done here in the UK either so although some of the big supermarkets stock them (usually Betty Crocker) they're very expensive compared to using ingredients from scratch. Will look forward to future 'wars' though

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 12:49am
post #26 of 39

So we have heard from several people who are going to wait for a scratch battle, who out there is planning to rock this war over the weekend?  I know k8memphis is.  Anyone else?  I know we have a lot of doctored mix bakers out there.

DormCat Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 3:29am
post #27 of 39

@Heath ‍ I plan to if I can find a plain German chocolate cake mix. No luck today so will see what I can find Saturday.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 2:48pm
post #28 of 39

gotta get red food color and instant pudding...brb...gotta walk the dog first...brb...

DormCat Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 2:15am
post #29 of 39

Guess I won't be comparing recipes this weekend. Went out to get supplies and had to turn around and go home due to tornado warnings and touch downs. It was a good decision as the walmart I was going to got hit and I would have been inside. Taking my grandson to Atlanta airport tomorrow and expecting the third wave of storms while there. Look forward to hearing the results. 

LeanneW Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 6:33am
post #30 of 39

My cupcakes just came out of the oven. I am frosting them both with the same frosting so it's just the cake thats being compared. My house smells great and my kitchen sink looks like something was murdered in it. Can't wait to hear from my taste testers tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%