Why Is Buttercream Cracking ?

Decorating By eventcakespgh Updated 17 Jan 2017 , 8:00pm by inthekitchen2

eventcakespgh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eventcakespgh Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 3:23am
post #1 of 9

Hi ! 

I'm  hoping someone can help us or offer suggestions. We have an ongoing issue with our Swiss meringue buttercream cracking. Not on every cake and mostly on single layer sheet cakes. 

we use standard gold bakery boards. We double up and Even triple board them. We keep them level on the shelf. Is it a humidity/ moisture issue compromising the boards? 

Is it a temperature issue? We use room temp buttercream and start with frozen cakes. We keep the cakes refrigerated at all times. 

Any suggestion is appreciated! 

[postimage id="6242" thumb="900"]

8 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 4:45am
post #2 of 9

Frozen things will expand as they warm up, try using a cake that is at fridge temp if you plan to keep it there or room temperature.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 5:51am
post #3 of 9

I think you should let your cake thaw out before icing it. Not sure how long to let it sit out before you should frost.  Maybe let it sit out for an hour before frosting it? I am just guessing so anyone here who has the real answer please step in and tell us what you think she is doing wrong!!  I have never had my frosting do this before but then again I have never used frozen cake. I always bake, cool, then frost all in the same day. 

Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, the frozen cake expands and if there is already buttercream on it, it will crack. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 9

I ice ALL my cakes from frozen with now thawing time at all.  I place the iced cake back in the cooler several hour before working on it most of the time, but I never thaw anything before icing......

I lean toward flex causing the cracks...a sheet cake is thinner and longer as opposed to a two or three layer cake, so it's structure is somewhat weaker and it will flex more unless it is sitting on a rock solid board. 

Try placing your cake on your gold board, but then set the cake on a non-flexing surface like a 1/2 thick masonite board and see if the cracks happen.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 9

*that's "no thawing time at all"

eventcakespgh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eventcakespgh Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 9

This cake is a pic from the customer. She picked it up on a Friday for a Saturday event so I'm not sure how she handled it once it left us. But it looks like she kept it in the box. 

I didn't decorate this cake, our other decorator did, but she says it was on a double board and I'm sure it didn't leave the bakery or get picked up cracked. 

However, we do know this is a known problem and have been trying to rectify and avoid the issue. Our previous decorator went so far as to not take single sheet orders because of this very cracking problem. We usually offer a warning when the customer is placing the order that this might happen but really I just want to do whatever possible to make it stop! 

Thanks everyone! Keep your suggestions coming!

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 9

Here's a site with basic information regarding freezing, thawing and frosting you could look at for comparison purposes.  

https://www.wickedgoodies.net/freezing-cakes/

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 9

Yikes, I don't know. I have done countless sheet cakes and have never had that cracking, and that is just using a single board. I have iced it frozen as well as partially frozen, and let it sit at room temp. I use regular American buttercream though, so I don't know if the meringue?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%