Advice On 3D Fish Cake

Decorating By Lousbakehouse Updated 16 Jan 2017 , 5:48am by Dar917

Lousbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousbakehouse Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

Any tips on creating this cake? What shape cake would you bake before carving? I thought rectangular but not sure. Also I don't have access to an airbrush - would I still have a good effect using food gels and alcohol if I painted it. Never painted a cake before so any tips I would be very grateful of.

As for the scales...would I use tiny cut out circles and layer them to create the textured look?

Thanks in advance [postimage id="6236" thumb="900"]

1 reply
Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 5:48am
post #2 of 2

There's a fish pan on Amazon that's kind of similar in shape, but it's not very big: https://smile.amazon.com/GXHUANG-Lifelike-Aluminum-Fish-Cyprinoid/dp/B01ENAJT3Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1484545150&sr=1-1&keywords=fish+cake+pan I would say carved from a rectangle shape, but you'd either have to layer it or have a recipe that gets really tall and rounded on top.

This is one I made last year:
900_carp-cake-987056Bu5tY.JPG

For the scales I used a teardrop-shaped cutter, pressing the round end into the fondant. The one in your photo looks like they were layered on individually. I don't have an airbrush either and I used Wilton Color Mist spray and black color-right gel mixed with a little water on mine; I think you could get a very good effect with those also. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%