My Sugar Dress Lace Has Too Many Bubbles!!

Sugar Work By gscout73 Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 1:58am by gscout73

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 11

My lace has too many bubbles, making the underside of the lace (which is smooth and shiny) look better than the top. I tried letting it sit to settle, make no difference. I tried thinning it out, which does make fewer bubbles but then I have to make four layers. I need to make this lace for a cake for next weekend, and this stuff is not cheap.

How do I make the lace look like lace and not like it's been nibbled on by bugs??

[postimage id="6235" thumb="900"]

10 replies
gscout73 Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 1:05am
post #2 of 11

Doesn't anyone have a solution? How do YOU get your lace to come out pretty?

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 2:15am
post #3 of 11

I've never had that many bubbles, but I would suggest not over whipping it when it's made. Let it sit overnight before using it.  You could possibly try straining it through a very fine strainer to help get rid of the bubbles. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 2:27am
post #4 of 11

When I first read the title of your post, I thought you meant the lace was bubbling up off the icing’s surface…and issue I’ve had a lot lately….had never happened until this past summer.

As to the problem you are experiencing, like others have said, make it and let it sit overnight, then stir well again.  Also, I just let it air dry…I’ve found that if I try to oven dry it, it ends up with those bubbles all over it.

I’m going to order and try some of that mix that Joshua John Russell uses on his YouTube program “Man About Cake”. 

gscout73 Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 2:47am
post #5 of 11

Wow, his lace is flawless. I actually did not use a mixer, I slowly stirred with my offset spatula. I could see the tiny teeny-weeny bubbles in the mixture. Joshua was way more aggressive when he stirred his than I was. I did notice when he scrapped away the excess he used pressure. I did not use that much pressure when I scrapped off my excess.  Could that have anything to do with it?

gscout73 Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 2:55am
post #6 of 11

How long will it take to air dry?  Joshua just says a few hours, but I'd like a more specific answer.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 3:25am
post #7 of 11

I'm not really sure....i usually scrape mine pretty firmly too.

I believe the stuff he uses can be baked in the oven quickly.  I've always air dried Sugar Dress overnight...sometimes it takes a good day if it's humid.  I had used it for years with great results.  But this past summer I started having it bubbling away from the cake sides...even after being on the cake over night in the cooler.

gscout73 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 5:01am
post #8 of 11

Jeff, do you think hot water would make it smoother? I've used cold, but am wondering if I should be using hot.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 11

I generally use warm water to mix mine.....not hot, but fairly warm. I also used distilled water because I read once that water that contains a lot of minerals can affect the lace mix.

Itsabakerslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsabakerslife Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 11

I put mine in the oven for twenty minutes at about 70-80  degrees C, and it comes out fine. The brand I use is Cake Lace. Cooled, boiled water will help your lace. Also make sure to not add too much liquid, I've found this does cause bubbles. Another thing, when applying the mix onto your mat, make sure to paddle it with a spatula very well. This will remove most of the bubbles. Then scrape very firmly to get rid of the excess. Hope this helps!

gscout73 Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 1:58am
post #11 of 11

Ok, distilled water, boiled then cooled, more pressure when spreading into mold, lower oven temp. GOTCHA! thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%