How Do You Reply When People Ask If You Can Reduce The Delivery Rate?

Business By 61999 Updated 4 Jan 2017 , 5:26pm by grama_j

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 4 Jan 2017 , 4:59am
post #1 of 5

I have a client who asked if I could reduce the delivery rate.  I was traveling 19 miles/32 minutes each way - with about $4 in tolls in addition.  I charged $65 as I typically charge $1/minute as per Google Maps.

When she asked if I could reduce the rate I responded: "My delivery rates are based on time, distance/mileage, tolls, and sometimes in this Florida weather packaging the cakes (especially buttercream ones as Sera’s is) with dry ice – hence the rates I charge to cover these.  Given this I would not be able to reduce delivery fees."

Does anyone have advice on how to respond to these types of requests?  I don't have the time nor patience to go into some speech about...öh, well traveling cakes takes skill and so on..."

4 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 4 Jan 2017 , 6:11am
post #2 of 5

I think your response is just fine! And not to mention the amount of time it takes you to deliver the cake, during which time you could be working on other orders; wear and tear to your vehicle; car insurance; the list goes on and on. I know of several bakers who factor these costs into their delivery fee.

In the future, you could offer to meet the customer halfway, or ask them to drive to your business to pick the cake up, if you're comfortable with either of those ideas (I know some bakers refuse to let clients pick up cakes).

Hope this helps :)

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Jan 2017 , 10:32am
post #3 of 5

Don't change a thing. I am in SoFla, and your response is perfect and your rates are reasonable.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Jan 2017 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 5

Just because they ask doesn't mean you have to comply.

I agree... your rate is fair, and your response is great.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Jan 2017 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 5

I would say......  " Sure....... I will be here between 9:00 Am and 3:00 Pm...... you may pick it up any time in those hours..."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%