Merging Cake Business Help

Business By kcampeau Updated 31 Dec 2016 , 7:36pm by -K8memphis

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 31 Dec 2016 , 12:06am
post #1 of 4

I need some help determining the best way to do this. An established bakery who does basic cakes has hired me to help build their cake department. Its 1 owner and her staff. She is a baker and not andecorator just basic buttercream skills. I am mainly a caker and decorator. I have great reviews from my side business and wanted to take the leo to start build my professional skills. 

I wanted to leave my corporate job and do my hobby full time, well 4 shorter days per week, and see how a bakery runs as I one day hope to open my own. She has taken me on with no formal training and the hopes to build another stream of revenue with fancier cakes. 

So how do we go a out mergine her balery and my cakes in the sense of aocial media? I am getting inquiries still on my pages and people like quotes right then and there. I do not want to say wait you contacted me but really call the bakery number. Its too difficult to explain to customers why they are being diverted.

We are trying to determine a system for handling inquiries to my stream as I have great reviews and photos.

any ideas?

3 replies
kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 31 Dec 2016 , 12:07am
post #2 of 4

Sorry for the typos I am on my phone!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Dec 2016 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 4

Personally I think one cannot do your own cake business on the side and work for a bakery.   You need to decide which way you want to go.....personal business or work for someone else.   Having gone both ways I think you are better off working form someone else but that's just me.  YOU have to decide for yourself.  Do you want the headache of everything involved in running a business or do you just want to do your 'fun thing' of decorating  and get paid for it. 

Once you have made that decision be sure to get a contract in writting as to what is expected of each of you.  Can you at some future time leave and take customers, business contacts, pictures etc with you,  If you increase business do you get an increase of pay etc....... just some of the things that the contract should spell out.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2016 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 4

yes it is like traveling east and west at the same time -- because most cakes are ordered for weekends -- it's ridiculously mind bogglingly, back breakingly and sleep deprivingly difficult to pull this off -- i've done it -- es no bueno -- 

yeah you need to decide one way or the other -- but if you go with the bakery you don't have to use your established portfolio -- just build out from point A with pictures of their orders-- kwim --

i'm gonna tell yah something else too -- no extra charge :) for best results, remove your ego from your work -- you need to tighten up and let the clock be your boss -- not the grandeur of your next creation -- kwim? you still need the grandeur but trimmed into a nice marketable package but time needs to be your taskmaster -- not that you didn't know that already but makes succeeding easier and fun when working for someone else --

with what i know now -- the best course for me was working for others -- i didn't necessarily fully realize it at the time -- always wanted my own place but it's great to work for others -- all of the fun and none of the headache -- seriously

i hope you get this all worked out and wonderful -- best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%