How Much Fondant Should I Make?

Decorating By HajraK Updated 17 Dec 2016 , 4:18am by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 14 Dec 2016 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I have  a bit of a silly question as the amount of fondant needed could vary by how thick it is rolled, but generally, how much fondant would I need to make flat disks to top about 75 cupcakes? I'm doing an event for 2 classes at my son's school where the kids will roll out the fondant, cut it into 2" circles and draw on top with edible markers. My guess would be 1.5 pounds would be enough but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2016 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 3

That would be my guess also.  But of course as you said it will depend on how thick each child rolls it.   You mught help that by supplying some small cake boards as that is the best thickness - about 1/4".    You probably won't need enough for each child as when one kid is finished it can be passed on to the others.  I'd probably think about 2 dz boards would be a good start.  Maybe you could cut some 4" or so circles from a 1/2 or full sheet cake board?  It just needs to be big enough for the kid to put next to the fondant and roll to that thickness. This is a hard thought to put into words.... It sure is taking a lot of words to get my point acorss :( 

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 4:18am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the advice kakeladi! I took a cake board with me like you suggested and it really helped. I would say we used almost 1lb in the end. I had plenty left over but of course always better to have more than less!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%