White House

Decorating By tippyad Updated 26 Jan 2017 , 7:15pm by tippyad

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 2:27am
post #1 of 6

I have a group wanting about 180 mini cakes. They are interested in a White House cake.  I'm thinking I'd do white cake covered in buttercream with the pillars & windows being made from fondant.  I'd stick an American flag in the top possibly made from paper attached to a toothpick.  Do y'all have any suggestions about the design and how much to charge?  I'd like to keep it simple. I'm in south Florida. [postimage id="5987" thumb="900"]

5 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 6:00am
post #2 of 6

That's a hard one. It's going to be lots of fiddly work working on that scale with all those little windows and the columns. If it were me I'd probably be inclined to go even smaller and simpler and do them as cakepops and just pipe the details on.

For little individual cakes like those I am not sure what to suggest for pricing for South Florida but I'd be charging around $10-$15 Australian dollars for each one based on your design with that level of fiddliness.

Good luck with the project! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the finished cakes!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 10:21am
post #3 of 6

Mini Cakes fairly plain are a PITA... With that much detail... Oh Holy Hades...

Be sure to charge what is worth your time... Make one for practice... just use a basic small styro block or something as the base and put all the pieces on and see how long it takes... Think about how much you want to get paid an hour...

if it takes you 20 minutes to do the decorations... and they want 100... 2000 minutes... 33 plus hours... at just $10 an hour wage (not counting supplies and the like) its $330 for them... 

Just know what you are getting yourself into...

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 6

Smaller cakes will be harder to do than one big cake! Good luck you will be very busy with this. 

tippyad Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone!  Now to come to an agreement on price with the customer.....

tippyad Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 6

getPart?uid=29997885&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=FullSizeRender.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%