Diy $15 Turntable Extender For The Hobby Baker

Business By Miss.Reynolds Updated 22 Nov 2016 , 3:19pm by Miss.Reynolds

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi CC! 

I'm not sure if anyone has ever posted this before but I thought I would share a money saver for a Turntable extender. I have been DYING to buy a turntable extender for some time now and it seems like the cheapest one I could find was $70 and for a hobby baker like myself that was a little too steep for my budget. 

So this is what I came up with. (PS. I have a Wilton turntable. The one with the green ring around it. I think it goes out to about 12 inches. The problem I was having with was any cake larger or smaller than an 8" was to difficult to have a straight surface to work on.)

Any-who I went to Michaels and purchased a 14 inch round cake pan. I have yet to have a cake order larger than a 12" so this works well for me. (fingers crossed) I used a "40% off" coupon and got the $18 round pan for $11. Then I purchase some non-slip scotch pads. (tip: I went with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V7UD8ZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 bought them at Hobby Lobby with another 40% off and got them for $3.) 

You want to take the scotch pads (the ones with the sticky side for mounding work best if you are going to use this pan strictly for extending a turntable. Tape the pads to the inside of the pan. I put down 5 (4 on the outer corners that make up the 12" round and 1 in the middle) Then turn the pan back over and "cradle" it on your turntable  (scotch pads should be touching the turntable and the pan should be upside down now. 

There you have it! I use this all the time and it gives me a flat surface and truly is a money savor! Give me a holler if you want pics posted. 

Happy Baking! grimacing.png

7 replies
Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 8

Thank  you so much for the idea I just might have to steal it lol. I actually use a large round wood base its about 18 to 20 inchs that I got at Home Depot and I covered in clear shelf lining, but I like your idea better it seams like it would be so much easier to clean too which is a plus plus in my book

Miss.Reynolds Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 8

It is @Mammadukes ‍! I like the wood board base idea too. But my home depot doesnt want to let it go for more then $30 lol. satisfied.png 

GrumpyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrumpyMike Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 8

Great idea!  Another method would to be to use non-stick shelf liner.  Sold in rolls I use it in my shop all the time.  No adhesive necessary.

Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 8

Wow thats a lot, I made a mistake it wasn't Home Depot I got it at, it was Lowe's and I know it was only about 8 bucks 

Miss.Reynolds Posted 15 Nov 2016 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

@GrumpyMike ‍ that is very true! I have some of that myself (bought after I made the extender of course.) lol 

GJsLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GJsLady Posted 18 Nov 2016 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 8

You know I had an issue with my round turntable also when it came to my 1/2 sheet cakes.  The cake board just weren't strong enough to support the ends of the cake, so in a pinch one late decorating night, I took one of my large cookie sheets, I think they're 12"x18", turned it upside down on the turntable and have the perfect support for it.   I just put some non adhesive, drawer liner under the cake board so it doesn't want to slide around.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 8

That is a perfect idea! @GJsLady. I just had that problem with a 10x10 square cake. The corners were protruding over my turntable! I will use your idea next time. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%