Holey Fruit Cakes

Baking By CluelessCate Updated 16 Nov 2016 , 5:14am by CluelessCate

CluelessCate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CluelessCate Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 5:23am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone,

I've only been baking fruit cakes for a couple of years and while my cakes come out tasting good they are always covered in lots of little divets so that when I go to ice them (almond icing followed by fondant) I end up spending ages balling little bits of almond icing to fill in the holes to try and get a smoother base.  

Any ideas or recommendations on how to reduce the number of these little divets on the base and sides of my cakes (I turn them upside down to get sharpers edges for the cake).

Cheers

Cate

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Nov 2016 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 3

Does it happen with other recipes too, or only this one? Sometimes it's the recipe, sometimes it's the process. (Without knowing anything about your recipe) you could try mixing the batter less so it won't incorporate as much air; and/or, after panning the cake, pick up the pan and drop it a few inches so it lands hard on your workbench. Do this several times, in hopes that it will remove air holes. 

CluelessCate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CluelessCate Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 5:14am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the reply  Mimifix.    I have been using  the same mix just varying the fruit combination a bit.  i have wondered if I cut back the amount of fruit in it, so there woukd be more  cake to the fruit.  the holes only occur on the outside edges, the middle  is rich, dense and  moist.  (a far cry from the first fruit cake I ever baked that the hubby enjoyed with butter!).

I have been droppinv the tin a few timex prior to baking  and give it a good shake as well.

I remember my mum filling a few spots with almond icing, I just  feel like my cakes end up with almost  two layers of almond icing on them.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%