Help: How To Make This Ipad Cake?

Decorating By neda_la Updated 9 Nov 2016 , 11:11pm by msalasek

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 9:47am
post #1 of 4

Hie everyone 

Any ideas how the cake decorator made the Apple paper bag and the iPad inside?

Thanks so much for the help in advance!;-)[postimage id="5642" thumb="900"]

3 replies
msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 4

The iPad is probably something like styrofoam or maybe even a cake board cut to size. It looks realistic because of edible images. I'm not very familiar with edible images, and how they're applied to cakes and fondant, but that's definitely what it looks like. The bag is a tall, rectangular shaped cake and covered in fondant. The Apple logo is also an edible image I'm presuming. The Ipod is done the same way the iPad was. The handles on the bag are fondant or gumpaste, and rolled out several days before to ensure they dry. 

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 4

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I know how to use edible images but I was wondering what the iPad was made of! Styrofoam is a great idea thanks.

I am also wondering how the fondant is applied on the cake. Maybe it is rolled and places from the side since the top is open. It should be pretty thick and dry if that's the case I would say.

Any other ideas?

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 4

Yes you could measure the sides of the cake, cut fondant to size, let dry, and then apply to sides of cake. I think this would be the best way to do it to make sure you get those sharp edges. The top could also be covered, or you could just apply the fondant "tissue paper" right on the buttercream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%