What's Your Favorite Buttercream Recipe To Ice/frost The Cakes?

Decorating By Cookie269 Updated 12 Nov 2016 , 8:27pm by Cookie269

Cookie269 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie269 Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 9

Buttercream stresses me out. I usually did ganache covered with fondant cakes and just turned down the orders which required buttercream. 

I felt it was about time I faced my fears. So I usually do part crisco shortening and part butter whenever I used to make buttercream. And to make it taste good I add almond and vanilla oil emulsions in it. People love the taste but it's just so hard to ice a cake with it. Putting it in the fridge makes it very stiff and when I leave it out it becomes too soft. 

Please tell me a good and delicious buttercream recipe which is used for specifically icing a cake. Especially when covering it with fondant. Does it have to be all shortening? Because that tastes nasty!!! 

8 replies
msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 12:31am
post #2 of 9

I would love a good recipe as well! Almost all my cakes are fondant covered so I could use a good recipe to use underneath fondant as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 9

I have used many over the years and right now my fav is "2 of everything Icing" that I have posted on this site.   

Another idea I used for several years was as a thinning agent instead of any other liquid use UNflavored yogurt.  The tartness of yogurt and a bit of salt  helps to cut the sweetness some people complain about.  this can be done in almost any recipe you might already be using that calls for a liquid such as water or milk.

msalasek Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 9

This might be a stupid question, but if you add in yogurt will the buttercream need to be refrigerated? My cakes are left at room temperature over night most of the time. Could you share a link to the recipe? 

Cookie269 Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 3:10am
post #5 of 9

@kakeladi ‍ I'm sorry i can't find that recipe. do you mind posting the link here. would appreciate it a lot! :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 9

Frustration! :(  I have tried to post a reply 3 times and it keeps coming up 'we are having site problems: ;(

When you can't find a recipe on here do a yahoo or google search like this:  "name of recipe" on cakecentral and most of the time a link will come right up.   So try yahoo search "2 of everything icing" on cakecentral" 

B;cream made using yogurt does NOT have to be refrigerated.  I have left it at room temp for as much as 3 days w/o a problem.  The amount of sugar vs the yogurt makes it safe.

msalasek Posted 11 Nov 2016 , 12:47am
post #7 of 9

Ok that's good to hear!! I will definitely try to find the recipe

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 11 Nov 2016 , 1:09am
post #8 of 9

Here's mine,I  use it all the time, I don't like crisco but have to use it especially when it's hot. I make triple the quantity at a time since my mixer can handle it. 

I find it easier to place my cakes in the fridge between each application to get a smooth finish.

Buttercream for wedding cakes

1lb (16 ounces) butter ---half salted and half unsalted
 6 ozs crisco

6 cups icing sugar---sifted
vanilla essence or flavouring of choice
few tablespoons of fresh cream or milk 

Beat butter first, then add crisco, beat,then add icing sugar, beat,
add vanilla, Beat well. Scrape bowl every now and then to ensure the bottom gets mixed in well.
Add milk or cream only if you find the buttercream is too thick, a tablespoon at a time.

Cookie269 Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone!!! buttercream is my weakest point! but will definitely giving your recipes a try and hopefully one of them will work for me :) thanks again!! :))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%