Versatile Vanilla And Chocolate Cake Recipes

Baking By ChocolateLove Updated 9 Nov 2016 , 2:59am by Cookie269

ChocolateLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateLove Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, 

I am trying to move away from doctored cake boxes and testing my own recipes. I am looking for well-tested go-to recipes to try. 

1. Light/ Moist vanilla cake recipe that is simple.  

2. Light/moist chocolate cake recipe that is also simple.

Also, question, what are experiences with using vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste? Thanks!

I would love to see what the cake central bakers have tried and references to their well tested favorite recipes. Many thanks in advance. 

6 replies
Cookie269 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie269 Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 7

So this is my all time favorite recipe. For vanilla cake I just omit cocoa powder and add another half cup of all purpose flour to the batter. Also I use coffee in chocolate cake and use boiled water with 2 drops of vanilla emulsion for any other flavor cake. 

And I don't use extracts, I use Lorann oil emulsions (which can be bought at michaels, AC Moore or amazon). I feel they make such a big difference to the cakes. They come in many flavors.

Looking forward to see what recipes other bakers use! :) 

[postimage id="5627" thumb="900"]

ChocolateLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateLove Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 4:05am
post #3 of 7

This looks like a simple recipe to try, Thank you! 

Anniah5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anniah5 Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 9:51am
post #4 of 7

Hi!

You may also like this marble cake recipe. It's worth it.

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 7

@Cookie269 ‍ can you explain a little more about emulsions? I'm interested in trying them instead of extracts.

Cookie269 Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

@msalasek ‍ i was first introduced to emulsion when i took a cookie decorating class about 2 years ago. the lady who taught us swore by them and claimed she used it in her cakes, cookies, buttercream frosting and even royal icing which she used to decorate her cakes. so emulsion can be used instead of extracts.  i bought vanilla-butter flavor to try it out and was hooked. i don't buy extracts anymore. have a whole bunch of different flavors of emulsions instead. i personally feel the aroma is much stronger and the taste is richer when using them. get tons of compliments on my cakes.

can be bought from probably any craft store. i find them cheaper on amazon so i just order it from there. buy one flavor to test it and i'm sure you'll love it.

i buy the Lorann brand

I was introduced to emulsions when i took a cookie decorating class about 2 years ago. so the lady who taught the class swore by it and said they were much better than extracts. so i just bought a vanilla-butter flavor from Michael's and the absolutely loved it. i just felt my cakes smelled better as opposed to when i used extracts. Now i have a whole bunch of different flavors which i am using all the time. i don't buy extract anymore. these oil emulsions can also be used in buttercream icing and royal icing.

you can find them at probably any craft store. i find them a little cheaper on amazon so i just order it from there. just buy one flavor to test it out :)

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/832742/versatile-vanilla-and-chocolate-cake-recipes#AhbXIjzTUWIluqIu.99

I was introduced to emulsions when i took a cookie decorating class about 2 years ago. so the lady who taught the class swore by it and said they were much better than extracts. so i just bought a vanilla-butter flavor from Michael's and the absolutely loved it. i just felt my cakes smelled better as opposed to when i used extracts. Now i have a whole bunch of different flavors which i am using all the time. i don't buy extract anymore. these oil emulsions can also be used in buttercream icing and royal icing.

you can find them at probably any craft store. i find them a little cheaper on amazon so i just order it from there. just buy one flavor to test it out :)

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/832742/versatile-vanilla-and-chocolate-cake-recipes#AhbXIjzTUWIluqIu.99

a

Cookie269 Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 2:59am
post #7 of 7

@ChocolateLove ‍ it's very simple and I use it for many flavors. i make hazlenut, lemon or even marble cake using this recipe. Just add the respective flavor. it will give you a yummy and moist cake. 

remember to wrap it in plastic cling wrap and put it in your refrigerator for a few hours before decorating. make sugar syrup. let it cool down and put it in your squeeze bottle or just use a ladle spoon to pour some on your cake before you crumb coat or spread ganache on it. will prevent your cake from drying out.

watch Yolanda Gampp's youtube tutorials for these tips. she's amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%