Last Minute Cancellation

Business By bakemeenchanted Updated 4 Nov 2016 , 9:27pm by bakemeenchanted

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys!

So I had an order for tomorrow for a 1st birthday cake with a model of a monster truck on top, and minimal decoration on the sides. The cake was for 11 am, and at 8.30 pm tonoght, the customer called me and told me she had to cancel the party because her baby was sick.

She told me that she would pick the cake up tomorrow anyway, and that she would like to re-order the exact same cake for the exact same price for next Friday. Basically, she was just letting me know that she would need the exact same cake again, not asking for a refund or a discount or anything,

At this point, I have the cake covered with fondant, and the monster truck made but not attached to the cake yet. And I haven't done the decoration on the side.

Now I felt really bad for her, because she had chosen this cake based on her budget. She originally wanted a 2 tier for 50 people, and then came down to a 1 tier for 30. Paying for this twice is going to cost her more than if she had gotten the 2 tier.

So I made her an offer. She can have the cake in the exact state it is in right now. No truck, no decoration, no name, for 30% of the total. And then she can pay me full price for a brand new cake for next week.

So she's only out 30%, and I don't have to remake the monster truck or finish the cake.

Do you guys think this is ok? I mean her reason is legit, and she's definitely not blowing me off or angling for a discount, so I'd like to help out however I can.

3 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 4

That's a very kind offer on your part and a fair compromise. She will be very grateful and that is good customer service. 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 4

Very nice of you!

Another alternative could be to freeze what you've done, except for your truck, and continue with it next week perhaps?

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys! I really wanted to help this customer out but I was worried I might end up looking easy. But I'm glad I gave her the discount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%