How Many Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla 425G (Around 15Oz) Cake Mix Do I Need For One Layer Of 10-Inch (26Cm) Round Pan?

Baking By sincerelyvanilla Updated 6 Nov 2016 , 3:54pm by Apti

sincerelyvanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sincerelyvanilla Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to bake a 10-inch (26cm) round cake for my friend's birthday. I am planning to make the cake 3 layers. So I was wondering how many Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla 425g (around 15oz) cake mix/mixes would I need for one layer? I don't want the layers to be too thin. Please help!! Thank you :)

9 replies
cupcakebeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebeginner Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 10

I put 1.5 boxes of cake mix into 1 10 inch x 3 inch (height) cake pan and it gives me a 3 inch tier that I cut into 1.5 inch layers. 

sincerelyvanilla Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you for your reply! 

Did you use a 425g cake mix to do that? If yes, did you have to add any additional eggs, water, oil? :)

cupcakebeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebeginner Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, I only use cake mixes and follow the standard instructions on the back of the box EXCEPT I replace water with milk always. 

sincerelyvanilla Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 10

I see! So even if I add an additional 0.50 of a cake mix, I would still follow the standard instructions of one cake mix?

Also, is there a reason why you replace water with milk? Can't I just use water?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, I'm new at baking hehe :)

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10

If your pan is only 2" deep, 1.5 mixes may or may not be too much batter.  You want the pan about 2/3 full.

When I do half a cake mix, I use half the water recommended for the whole mix, half the oil, and 2 eggs.  So for 1.5 mixes  you would use 1.5 times the normal amount of water, 1.5 times the normal amount of oil, and 5 eggs.  They extra half egg won't hurt anything.

1 cake mix will make between 4 and 5 cups of batter.  Many of the cake mixes have gotten smaller than they used to be, and they vary a bit.

Here is a chart which may help you.  It recommends 6 cups of batter for a 10" pan which is 2" high.
http://www.wilton.com/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

sincerelyvanilla Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 8:25am
post #7 of 10

It says that one cake mix requires 90ml vegetable oil, 180ml water, 3 medium free range eggs.  So for 1.5 cake mix, I would need 135ml vegetable, 270ml water, and 5 medium eggs? Is my calculation right? :)

I found that the Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla cake mix is the smallest with only 425g. Whereas, the other Betty Crocker products such as SuperMoist are 517g. According to the cake mix box, the Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla is suitable for an 8inch pan. That's why I'm kinda confused on how to make a 10inch round cake with such a small weight /:

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 2:06am
post #8 of 10

sincerelyvanilla -- I just responded to a question on another thread "Cake Mixes".  After reading THIS thread, I now know you are a newbie.  First of all, WELCOME to CakeCentral!    Second, please go to that thread and read my recent response that will tell you how to measure.

Second, many of the members here are from the USA, so it is helpful to identify your country of origin if you wish specific replies since mixes and ingredients and names for cake stuff may be different from one country to another.

For about 50+ years the big 3 cake makers:  Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, and Betty Crocker uniformly made box mixes that were all 18.25 ounces.  About 5 years ago, they started shrinking the ingredients and tried to fool everyone and say dumb stuff like:  "The mix will still make an 8"x2" layer."   HA!   Lies.....all lies.......

An example of a "doctored mix" is this Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix below that takes the original box mix and then adds all sorts of extra stuff to get a tastier cake and a larger yield:

Single Recipe:

1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix (16.5 oz) (do not follow box instructions—just use the powder in the box)
1 box white chocolate instant pudding mix powder (3.4 oz)
(may substitute instant chocolate pudding mix)

1/2 cup flour, sifted

1/8 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Yield: 24 standard cupcakes, two 8”x 2” round cake layers

I gave this Red Velvet recipe to a group of 20 students in my beginning cake decorating class.  Some of the students made the recipe exactly as printed above, and one student didn't have time to purchase all the extra ingredients and brought in her two  8"x2" layers that were made JUST WITH THE BOX MIX RECIPE AND THE INGREDIENTS LISTED ON THE BOX MIX.  Her cake layers were about 1" high and everyone else's were 2" high.  Huge difference in the 'yield'. 

sincerelyvanilla Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 10

To Apti ,

Yes I am a newbie here and living in Europe :) I bought the Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla cake mix because the other Betty Crocker products that are available in the US are hard to find here. So, unfortunately, I got the Betty Crocker cake mix that is only 425g (15oz). But thank you for your help!! I'm gonna try it out :D

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 10

Here's a doctored box mix version that you may enjoy for Sour Cream White Cake.  You can use your Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla Cake Mix that is 15 ounces and then follow as written below:

1 box Duncan Hines white cake mix (use the powdered mix only―do not follow instructions on the box)

1/2 cup flour, sifted

1/8 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (or use vanilla, lemon, etc. instead of almond)

Yield: 24 cupcakes or two 8”x2” round cake layers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%