Photographing Cakes

Business By msalasek Updated 5 Dec 2016 , 8:57am by Apti

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 1:08am
post #1 of 13

I am not new to cake decorating, but when it comes to photographing my work I have no idea what I'm doing! Most of the time when I photograph my cakes, it's right before delivery when I'm just finishing up so I don't have time to set up an elaborate background or make a pretty set up. I just end up snapping the picture and that's that. I really want to get into photographing my cakes, cookies, and cupcakes but what are some good ways to do it? What can I use for a backdrop and how do the pros do it? 

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 13

I bought a black three panel fold out presentation board.  Easy to store and a consistent background.  Also, easy.

http://www.staples.com/Elmer-s-Black-Foam-Display-Board-36-x-48-/product_922528

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 13

I use the same method mentioned by leah_s above, but I put one flat on the table surface, then put the other behind.  I purchase tri-fold Elmer's cardboard at an office supply store or Michaels craft store.   I use both black and white to get different backgrounds, and have also used a gold tablecloth that is arranged over the tri-folds to create a third effect.  It's nowhere near "professional", but is quick, cheap, and produces decent photos of cakes.

Here is a link to my shutterfly site with photos of my cakes.  Notice on the hexagon cake with the giant sunflower that different placements of the cake in the white tri-folds produce a different effect because of the reflection on the cake frosting color. 

The photo of the three halloween cakes against a black background were made by putting the three, 8"x4" cakes on glass pyrex bowls that elevated them to different heights. 

Click through and enlarge the individual photos and you'll see the different methods.    You'll also see early cake photos taken without the tri-folds.   

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Apti Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 13

p.s.  When you click on the link above, also find the option to View All and see all 82 photos, not just the 25 thumbnail displays on the "first page" 

msalasek Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 3:52am
post #5 of 13

I've never thought about a trifold that's a great idea! I've always wondered how people get such beautiful backgrounds, who knew it could be so easy and cheap.

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 13

I just bought a Bakedrop! to use for photographing cakes. Not as cheap as making your own, but I love the look.

msalasek Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 3:31am
post #7 of 13

I just looked into bakedrops for the first time and I will definitely be purchasing one! Thank you so much!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 3:38am
post #8 of 13

Quote by @leah_s on 1 day ago

I bought a black three panel fold out presentation board.  Easy to store and a consistent background.  Also, easy.

http://www.staples.com/Elmer-s-Black-Foam-Display-Board-36-x-48-/product_922528

Pretty cool backdrops.

Apti Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 13

I love the BakeDrops, but since I hobby bake and don't ever plan to "need" professional photos, the tri-folds work fine.

Here's the link to BakeDrops--it's worth taking a look, they are beautiful.

http://sugarhighinc.com/#!/Bakedrops®-by-Sugar-High/c/9150289/offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 13

@Apti ‍, before I got a backdrop I taped together 3 huge sheet cake boards into a homemade tri-fold & used that.  Using the white shiny side added some much needed light to my cakes & cookies.  It's so overcast, cloudy, & dark most days in Alaska.

If I'd seen these Elmers tri-fold thingies previously I'd probably be happy with those as many other home hobbiest without a lot of frivolous spending money would be.   It's really cool that @leah_s ‍ & you recommend it. smiley.png

Apti Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 12:50am
post #11 of 13

Happy to be of service!   Love all y'all cake buddies!!

SensationalCakesAndMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SensationalCakesAndMore Posted 5 Dec 2016 , 4:01am
post #12 of 13

Hi! My 2 cents... for about $35, I bought a LimoStudio backdrop stand on amazon - two tripods with a connecting pole (in sections) that can hold a backdrop. I bought a few yards of fleece at the fabric store in a few different colors, and a 6' strip of molding at Home Depot. Stapled each fleece cut to a separate 6' strip of molding and roll it up for storage. To take pictures, I position the stand on the long edge of the dining room table, unroll the fleece and drape the molding over the crossbar of the stand and onto the table. This allows the fleece to serve as the backdrop and the surface - similar to a Bakedrop (I have two of those too, love them for smaller creations!!). Hope this makes sense. A clean, non-distracting background is imperative!

Also, I have a good camera (digital SLR), and I purchased two StudioPro lights ($600 for the camera, $200 for the lights).

In our business, good photography is a HUGE competitive advantage. I receive numerous comments on the excellence of my photography and the draw it was to them as customers. They don't believe I'm a home baker with no commercial space! I believe the better-than-average photography supports my professionalism and allows me to command higher prices; this has long since paid for the equipment!

To see if you agree, feel free to check out my biz page on FB (Sensational Cakes And More) and/or my website (run the words together and add the dot com). HTH.

Apti Posted 5 Dec 2016 , 8:57am
post #13 of 13

Sensational -- Those are lovely photographs AND cakes.  I agree 100% about the photography being absolutely necessary if one were selling cakes for profit.   You "eat with your eyes first".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%