Cottage Cake Business

Business By ChocolateLove Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 8:09pm by Pastrybaglady

ChocolateLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateLove Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, 

What kind of health and other permits do you need to start a "home-based" bakery? I know it depends on the country/city, I am just curious what home based bakery processes are?

Thanks in advance. 

6 replies
SweetNeddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNeddy Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 7

Hi  - 

It really depends upon the state (and city to a smaller degree) you live in... Most states do have Cottage Food Laws  - but differ in what they require. I'm in Michigan - our Cottage Food Law does not require any permits or inspections (but, they can inspect your kitchen if someone makes a complaint). Cottage Food laws also limit the type of food you can make and sell from your home kitchen, require certain labeling formats, and limit where and how you can sell (some allow mail order, some don't).

Best to check with your state/county/city health department(s).

Happy Baking!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 7

In Northern CA I needed a ServSafe certificate, a permit from the County Health Department, zoning approval and a business license. The fees are paid for the calendar year so it's not worth it to pay them at the end of the year because you'll have to pay again in January. There are 2 kinds of Cottage food permits - A allows you to sell direct with no health inspections but there are many selling restrictions; B allows you to sell to other vendors for resale and requires yearly inspections and of course costs more.

ChocolateLove Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you! That helps, Texas has the same policy where it does not require health licensing but can inspect upon a complaint. 

ChocolateLove Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 7

That's what I was wondering too-without a health inspection, I have to be very careful with traditional recipes I use--like cream cheese icing..

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 10 seconds ago

In Northern CA I needed a ServSafe certificate, a permit from the County Health Department, zoning approval and a business license. The fees are paid for the calendar year so it's not worth it to pay them at the end of the year because you'll have to pay again in January. There are 2 kinds of Cottage food permits - A allows you to sell direct with no health inspections but there are many selling restrictions; B allows you to sell to other vendors for resale and requires yearly inspections and of course costs more.

Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yeah, cream cheese is on the no fly list.

Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

Oh yeah, cream cheese is on the no fly list.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%