Cake Decorating And Pricing

Business By daniela96 Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 5:44pm by ch5964

daniela96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniela96 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 8

Hi I am making a cake for my friend and I am making the number 50 out of gum paste and the circle shapes out of fondant. How do I do a star burst effect and the swirl pattern on this cake? And is $65 dollars a good price to charge her?[postimage id="5361" thumb="900"]

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 8

How big will the cake be?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

..........How do I do a star burst effect and the swirl pattern .........

Tip one and very light pressure piping.  You don't give us any information to help suggest pricing.  What do you charge per serving for a wedding cake?  That's a good place to start.

daniela96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniela96 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 8

I charge $3.00 per slice for basic fondant cake  and the cake is 10in. I was charging $65 for this cake. I didn't think it was going to be too hard to do.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 4:31am
post #5 of 8

A 10" cake yields at least 30 servings so if you charge $3 per you should be at $90.

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 8

Good Morning,

I have 2 cakes that the grooms are interested in; and have know idea how to price these out for labor costs.

The wedding will have 300 guests. Where I am located; buttercream servings run $2.50 per serving and $3.50 per serving  for fondant.

The first cake is a 4 tier Mad Hatter type cake with 18,16,12 and 8 inch rounds. This will only feed approx 194 guests. I would need to do fondant topped cupcakes for another 106 guests.[postimage id="5382" thumb="900"]

The next alternative will have 2 top tiers; fondant decorated cupcakes and mini cakes.

[postimage id="5383" thumb="900"]

Bottom line is I need to feed 300 guests. If anyone could give me some handy hints regarding these 2 cakes; I would sure appreciate it. :)

Thanks for your help!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 8

For the mostly white cupcake set up I'd charge $4 or $5 each/per serving.  Who's supplying those lovely tea cups & saucers?  Don't forget to include the cost of th em if you are.  

The madhatter design is going to take lots of extra time decorating.  That checkerboard work on the bottome tier is difficult/time consuming.  You'll need a special mold for that gold frame - do you already have something similar or will you have to purchase one?  Are you making those huge roses or using silks?  Again if silks charge extra for them....they cost something like $8 ea in places like Michael's/JoAnn's.  All those things has to be considered when you price out copying a design. 

As for needing such an exact # of servings...you can figure on at least 10% of invited guests not showing &/or not eating dessert.  You don't have to have an *exact* # of servings for their count.  Leave the final decision up to the bride - present the fact that "this creation serves xxx - do you want extra cupcakes or a 'kitchen cake' or just leave it at that?"  

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you Kakeladi!! I will not be supplying those tea cups and saucers. I will also need to purchase that special mold also. LOVE the idea of " this creation serves xxx" Perfect and thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%