Friday Night Cake Club For 10/14/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 17 Oct 2016 , 10:31am by kstevens

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2016 , 3:09am
post #1 of 17

Opening up another session of the FNCC! All levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! Hope to see lots of photos this weekend!

Cat

16 replies
catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2016 , 3:09am
post #2 of 17

Next week is my caking week so I'm living vicariously through y'all! Hope to see lots of wonderful creations this weekend!

Cat

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 15 Oct 2016 , 5:53am
post #3 of 17

This is my 3D Lightning McQueen cake I'm making for my son he's not quite finished I still gotta put stickers and a few little details on!!

[postimage id="5331" thumb="900"]

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 15 Oct 2016 , 10:40am
post #4 of 17

Lightning McQueen is all done!!

[postimage id="5332" thumb="900"][postimage id="5333" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 15 Oct 2016 , 11:11am
post #5 of 17

@shellbell181 ‍ that is so cute.  Can't wait to see it with all the stickers he is perfect.    

I am making progress on my flowers for a the wedding cake that I have coming up. Will start the lily and the alstroemerias this week.  I have ordered some petal dust and it a hould be here Tuesday.

I wasn't really planning on baking this week, but my husband asked me to bake a cake for the family reunion because it is his cousins birthday. I decide it would be a good chance to use the Russian tips I bought this summer. I messed  up on doing the flowers around the edge and ended up just covering the top with flowers.  It was easy and fast and it turned out okay. I need more practice getting the pressure wright and I think the icing could have been a little stiffer. 

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is making. 

Have a great weekend.

[postimage id="5334" thumb="900"]

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 1:03am
post #6 of 17

@shellbell181 ‍ your cake turned out great! What a lucky son you have :-) 

@Marian64 ‍ your flowers look good to me.  I have a couple of those tips but I haven't had time to play with them yet.

No cakes for me this week.  I had one booked for yestetday but it was postponed due to an emergency surgery for the wife of the birthday boy.

I am looking for some help/input for a cake I have to do December 2.  The lady I did the drip cake for last week wasbso thrilled with the cake that she would like another one for her daughter's grad ring ceremony (I had no idea this was a thing.....).  Anyhoo, she would like a buttercream cake that is gold in color with black drip and sparkles around the base.  I am good to go with the black drip but it's the gold and sparkles I need help with.  I have done some reading to see what others are doing/have done for the gold color but I know there are new products out there since the posts were made.  I am in Canada and would like for everything to be edible so I need products that are approved for consumption here. Is my best bet to airbrush the buttercream? Can you recommend a product to use?  Any ideas for the sparkle part? I was thinking sanding sugar but it's not that sparkly..... Do you think rock candy would work?  Maybe just shiny black nonpareils?

Thanks in advance for your input and I look forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to.

Kelly

catlharper Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 1:21am
post #7 of 17

@shellbell181 ‍ Oh Em Gee! This would be SUCH a hit in our house! My 5 year old grandson is crazy about this movie and this character in particular. Such a great job at this!

@Marian64 ‍ There are tons of products out there that you can use for the gold and sparkles.  GSA makes a gold twinkle/disco dust that is really cool. There is the spray color as well as the larger pearlized sugar (larger granules than sanding sugar). Any of those would help with the gold touches.

Cat

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 3:53am
post #8 of 17

Here is my latest - an engagement cake for the daughter of a friend...

@kstevens ‍ at someone's recommendation on CC I tried Alan Tetreault's brand of edible gold luster dust and air brush paint. In the end I used the Soft Gold luster dust mixed with vodka and painted it on the cake.  The air brush liquid worked just as well, but the bottle I purchased looked a little too brassy for the color I was after. 

[postimage id="5338" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 6:40am
post #9 of 17

This was my only cake this week.

[postimage id="5339" thumb="900"]

anne6856 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anne6856 Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 17

I love this whimsical cake!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 17

@shellbell181 ‍ Wow! Amazing job. Am sure the kids loooved it. It looks so real!

@Marian64 ‍ Those flowers are very pretty. Don't see where you could possibly have messed something up. Am tempted to get those Russian tips but they are very expensive here unfortunately. 

@kstevens ‍ I'm afraid I'm not much of a help. Don't know much about new products. I've I had to do it I'd just paint the buttercream with luster dust I guess. But can't wait to see the cake. Am sure it'll be amazingly perfect as usual! 

@moreCakePlz ‍ How funny you post a gold painted cake just after kstevens wrote about one.  Lovely! It's crazy how many shades of gold you can get these days isn't it? I also like the flowers and the bottom boarder - very unusual - gives it a modern flair.

@Pastrybaglady ‍ Your cake makes me wanna go to the swiss alps for some skiing  (although there isn't any snow yet lol). The guy looks really great with his woolen hoodie and smiling while he's stuck in a big pile of snow! 

I had a last minute cupcake order last week but was too busy writing or posting any pictures. Lots going on here at the moment! This week I did the wedding cake from hell hahaha! 

It wasn't overly complicated but it was a bit bigger than normal (close to 300 servings) and i was also attending the wedding as a guest. The problem actually started when I discovered to my horror that the syrup I use to make my fondant was out of stock - everywhere - in every single shop!!! I ended up picking up some locally produced syrup after gazing the entire city which gave me quite some problems as I could not get the fondant to the right consistency. And no - the only cake supply shop which is 800km away - didn't have fondant until next week - grrr! After some stressful days of baking and rebaking (as one cake was underdone (never had that happen before but i think in my mayham i got the timing wrong) i drove the cake up to the venue in almost 100 degree (ac in the car on full blast) to find myself assembling it in a walk in closet as the designated bedroom was full of flower arrangements, molding the pearl boarder in a cupboard next to a gazillion empty wine boxes with barely any light, fighting with the flower people walking in and out not closing the door at letting all the hot air in. Anyway...I could write an entire book about the cake and all the grey hair I got making it lol...

It was a four tier chocolate cake - 8",10",12", 14", extended tier height, filled with chocolate swiss meringue buttercream, covered in white and dark chocolate and white and navy blue fondant with imprinted diamond design, fondant pearl boarders and white gum paste flowers.

julia1812 Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 17

[postimage id="5340" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 17

[postimage id="5341" thumb="900"]

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 17

@julia1812 ‍ ABSOLUTELY STUNNING 

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 16 Oct 2016 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 17

@Pastrybaglady ‍ too cute. I remember that position on my first trip to Garmisch. So embarrassing and no way was I going to attempt the Zugspitze 

julia1812 Posted 17 Oct 2016 , 6:23am
post #16 of 17

Thank you @DormCat ‍ :)

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 17 Oct 2016 , 10:31am
post #17 of 17

@moreCakePlz ‍ thank you for the information.  I like the gold color on your cake so I guess I'll try ordering some of the air brush colors as with buttercream I think that will be my best bet. Love the pleats around the base of your cake and your flowers are perfect!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ your cake is my favorite this week! Love the character stuck in the snow :-) 

@julia1812 ‍ your cake is beautiful! Sorry to hear it caused you so much grief but it certainly is not obvious in the finished cake.  That blue color is gorgeous! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%