24-30 Inch Wedding Cake, Single Tier Square, With Butter Icing

Baking By sukayna Updated 5 Oct 2016 , 3:54am by kakeladi

sukayna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sukayna Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 8:21am
post #1 of 9

Hi! My clients wedding cake has to be a tall 1 tier square cake with butter icing, is that really feasible? Transporting, alignment etc?

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 9

i would check all the doorways including the ones in your vehicle and determine the smallest one -- that will determine how big you can make it -- unless you make it in two pieces that is also a possibility -- and then join them together at the venue -- or if need be you can make a smaller board, the same size as the cake to transport it on and make a bigger board to place it all on at the venue so it looks like it has a nice plateau or nice bottom border on the board --

depending on how you decorate -- it will look like a huge huge slab of cake -- make sure your tables are big enough and sturdy enough too --

best to you

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 9

Could you double barrel it? Twice the servings.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 9

I'd do 3 double barrel and have a centre dowel. Assemble on side. And probably have all three slightly twisted so it doesn't look like one big massive skyscraper.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 9

sukayna -- define 'has to be' and how many servings do you need

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

OP - Why does it "have to be"  a single, huge, square tier?    Sounds like the type of cake made for Navy or Marine Corps birthday celebrations that needs to serve 500 or more people.   

sukayna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sukayna Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for your help. Not only that but now they want 60 cakes one for each table, approx 4-6 inches with frills all round. On  the wedding cake they would like me to use 12 inches of dummy cake and than have the rest as cake. But honestly the more I think of it the more am afraid it's not something I want to do. For our roads in Mombasa are full of bumps and potholes. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 12:38am
post #8 of 9

@sukayna   Mombasa.   That's a little outside the USA where many of our suggestions are originating....

Have you personally ever attempted a project this large?  Do you have the logistical supplies needed to prepared a huge cake and 60 individual 4"-6" cakes?  Freezer, ingredients, supplies, oven, etc.   This sounds like a huge project for a full bakery, let alone an individual cake maker/decorator.  

The bumps and potholes are the last thing I'd be concerned about with a project like this. 

Is there a commercial kitchen (like a hotel kitchen) that you could use to bake, make buttercream, spread out all the cakes/large cake in an assembly line to complete and serve at the site of delivery? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 3:54am
post #9 of 9

This almost sounds like a scam order.  Are you SURE it is a real person/order??  

Are you saying they want a cake 24 to 30" square on top of 12" of dummy cake?  Why?  As someone else mentioned check that any doors you need to pass through will accommodate a board 28 to 34" wide.  There are very few, if any, that that size will pass through.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%