Stumped! Sea Anemone / Living "elegance" Coral... Thinnngggy....

Decorating By emarcomd Updated 12 Sep 2016 , 5:12pm by emarcomd

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 5:47am
post #1 of 10

So my friend's new boyfriend has a birthday coming up.  He also has a salt water aquarium which he loves, and in that beloved aquarium is a coral which is growing too big for the tank and he will soon need to say goodbye to.

So I thought I'd make a cake of it for him.   

Then I saw the thing (Oh yes, he has a video of it on youtube.) Here is his actual baby:
[postimage id="5073" thumb="900"]

Forget the shape -- I'm not even going to deal with that whole "let's-put-all-the-weight-in-one-big-bulb-on-the-top" thing going on there.   I'm just wondering how to do the... ... tentacles?   

I'm guessing the only answer is lots and lots and lots of tubes with iridescent petal dust.  Would sugarpaste be too fragile?  I'm wondering about how heavy those long things will be, because it's not going to be a huge cake -- enough for 10 folks, really.

Does anyone have any better suggestions at approximating that thing?   Here are some other (less structurally challenging) versions.   I feel no compunction to make HIS elegance coral, just ANY elegance coral.

[postimage id="5074" thumb="900"](this one is probably more along my lines -- it's an already toppled over cake.  my specialty)

Then there's this one....

Elegance-Coral-L.jpg

and finally...

maxresdefault.jpg

and yes OF COURSE I'm including the clownfish!   (His are named "Lenny" and "Bruce".)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

9 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 10

I would say modelling chocolate through an extruder. Of course, getting all those little thingys dried with the same wave in them will be tricky.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 10

true, jgifford -- if you have a spaghetti pasta maker you could get globs of stingy things more in the same direction

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 10

probably more fondant than modeling choco though due to the heat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 10

is wafer paper an option?  Cut as big a circle as possible and then start cutting the tentacles, leaving the center intact.  Cut several and layer them.  You can curl the wafer paper around anything - skewer, pencil to give it some motion.  It also takes dust pretty well, and there's a shiny side and a matte side.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 10

oh good idea, leah

emarcomd Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 10

Ooooooohhh..... That's a great idea....

here's another question-- what about gelatin?  Like you do with gelatin bubbles?

emarcomd Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 10

I've never used paper wafer.... I gotta go look at some tutorials and figure out what you're talking about!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 12 Sep 2016 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%