Friday Night Cake Club For 9/9/16

Decorating By me_me1 Updated 12 Sep 2016 , 11:27pm by Laetia

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 3:29am
post #1 of 60

*sits patiently in Aus and waits for it to become Friday in the US*

*realises not a patient person*

*starts FNCC even though it's not even Friday in the US yet*

I'm not working on any orders tonight but I will be prepping for a fair I've got a stall at in the next few weeks.  I'm having my first crack at a geode cake - so far it's looking pretty good (no pics yet). I've done a grey/dark grey marbled fondant and have made one lot of a pinky coloured rock candy. Tonight I'll just be making a white rock candy for the outer edges of the geode. I tried making the white candy this morning but got distracted and while it's now a lovely shade of gold, it's not quite what I'm after.

Also planning on doing something with a pale duck egg blue base fondant and some teensy shimmery triangles in peacock blues and greens with some random gold ones in there and some gold lace.  And a peaches and cream buttercream ombre with fresh flowers.  As well as a white/silver/dark blue/teal double barrel with a white fondant top tier with a heap of silver/white/dark blue/teal sugar flowers and leaves.  And finally, one chocolate overload with the full ganache drip, truffles, meringue kisses, choc transfer shards/sails, gold brushed rapsberries etc.

I'll post some pics once I've finished everything.  

I'm picking up my new stall signage this weekend and have had a lovely tabletop arbor made to hang it from. Pretty excited to see the finished thing!!

grinning.png

PS - wasn't sure if just anyone was allowed to start these Friday night cake club threads so apologies if I'm stepping on any cakey toes!  I got a bit overexcited and impatient for Friday to start in the US - hahaha!!  

59 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 10:39am
post #2 of 60

Lol...Friday night cake club is always a Saturday morning club for me and is one of the things I look forward to each week too!!!

Am down with a bad flu and didn't have or take any orders. Not that I would sneeze onto a cake and I always wash hands etc but don't feel it's right. I know US regulations are very sticked on that although I don't have to follow them (as I don't live there) but I try to take them as a guideline. 

BTW...@catlharper is so kind and normally the one who starts this thread every week. So I was a bit surprised to see it pop up now already. Am sure she won't mind but since it traditionally her I would see what she has to say...

Looking forward to the cakes this week as my internet was having problems I think as I couldn't see half of the pictures last week :/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 11:39am
post #3 of 60

julia, so sorry to hear you are all puny with the flu -- I just got my flu shot and now I'm old enough to get the pneumonia shot too ha! can't wait -- but I hope you mend well and soon and this pays your dues up from anything else icky for a long long time <3 it's the cough that lasts so long for me ugh! may yours disappear fast --

and me_me1 -- I'm very interested in your color scheme -- I was just recently wading through such a similar coloration conflagration -- I had a hard time making it all gel -- can't wait to see what you come up with -- the peach the gold the blues -- it was difficult -- I have a need to stomp on the edit pedal most all the time so I really wanna see what you create -- I could not marry the peach with the blue unless I deleted the gold was quite a struggle -- imostly went with the blue and gold --

you needed Friday to hurry I need to see your results in a hurry -- hahahaha jk jk jk jk jk

me_me1 Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 60

Oooh, sorry.... I shan't start it again then, will leave it to the lovely catlharper [postimage id="5053" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 3:00am
post #5 of 60

These are my two cakes for tomorrow. A jungle cake for a 1 year old and a birthday cake for an 80 year old who likes camels and sea horses.

[postimage id="5056" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="5057" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:35am
post #6 of 60

@catlharper ‍ 

me_me1 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:36am
post #7 of 60

Tagging the lovely Cat at her request... @catlharper 

me_me1 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:39am
post #8 of 60

Oh boy, now my computer's not letting me do stuff like tag properly and is deleting half my text. 

Happy caking Friday everyone... I'm going back to my dummy cakes!

x

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:41am
post #9 of 60

LOVE the cakes! And, no I don't mind at all. Just tag me if anyone starts the FNCC before I do. I look forward to it every week too! I'm going to try to post my sushi cake here...the Friday night US version of the FNCC wouldn't allow me to do it. There are two photos because the cake originally had a fondant bowl with "soy sauce" in it...after a few hours the bowl looked like it was melting so I replaced it with two real soy sauce packets for work. There are 3 birthdays this month thus the 3 sets of chopsticks and names.

Cat

catlharper Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:41am
post #10 of 60

[postimage id="5062" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:42am
post #11 of 60

[postimage id="5063" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:44am
post #12 of 60

@me_me1 ‍ I love that geode cake. My son is very much into diamond and all sorts of gem stones. Think he would also love the cake. How did you do the rock candy?

@Pastrybaglady ‍ An 80 year old who.loves camels and seahorses...that's sort of funny! Sounds like she's been in Tunisia or Egypt on a holiday and got hooked lol. Beautiful cakes!

@-K8memphis ‍ Thank you very much. Am feeling already better but guess it takes time. My grandma used to say a flu lasts 14 days without meds and 2 weeks with...hahaha. She was right. I never got a flu vaccination but I shall look into it.

julia1812 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:49am
post #13 of 60

@catlharper ‍ That is such a cool cake!!! Sushi is one of my favorites, just over ate on it on Wednesday when I took my hubby out for his birthday to a Japanese restaurant. Quite a lot of was a bit though...haha...if that would be real someone might be able to breath fire!! Sorry the soy sauce bowl didn't work out but you saved it nicely. Well done, it all looks very real and the names on the chop sticks are just adorable. 

julia1812 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:50am
post #14 of 60

*Wasabi not was a bit

me_me1 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 5:18am
post #15 of 60

Gosh I must have seemed rude...  @julia1812, in my post that had half of the text cut out I did say I'm sorry to hear you're feeling poorly and do hope you're on the mend soon.  Not sure why that got cut out!!

The rock candy was just 1/2 cup water, 3/4 cup of liquid glucose (corn syrup over there??) and 2 cups of sugar.  Usual boil it up, brush sugar grains off with wet pastry brush thing until it hits 290 degrees F, take it off the heat and add a teensy bit of gel paste colouring.  Let it cool/set and then smash - great fun   smile.png

I have since softened the blend from pink to white on the geode and put it on it's proper marbled cake board and it's looking rather good!  Will take a pic later.  Currently I'm covering the rest of my styrofoam dummies in RI to be finished off tomorrow.

xx

me_me1 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 5:19am
post #16 of 60

Loving the other cakes!  Super cute little jungle cake and the sushi looks awesome!

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 6:40am
post #17 of 60

Nothing for me this week; I have work Sunday and have to go to bed early tomorrow for that but I am going to make some pearl oyster cookies, to use up a package of cookies I have in the cupboard I bought for it. I made some like, a year ago? They're so cute!

Next Saturday is my birthday so I'll be doing my cake next weekend; it will be a seashell cake. This time I'm going to try Chef John's chocolate sour cream cake recipe for it. So far though I like Wilton's chocolate pound cake recipe the best. The one I made last week tasted just like a chocolate fudge cake mix I've used before, but better because I know exactly what's in it.

I love the geode cake! I want to make one of those some day too; I just think they're really cool looking! And I found a restaurant supply place nearby that has the rock candy sticks in every color, so that makes life easier.

Cool sushi cake! Mmmm, sushi...

julia1812 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 7:19am
post #18 of 60

@me_me1 ‍ I made ice once for a frozen themed cake but it sort of absorbed a lot of water very quickly and started to melt. It's very humid where I am so guess that's not helping. Did you have problems with that? And also I store all my cakes in the fridge due to high outside temperatures and would be afraid they would completely melt offor the cake once I take it out. What do you think?

me_me1 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:14am
post #19 of 60

Yikes, humidity and fridge storage... I'd be concerned about it melting off too. You could try turning the fridge down as low as possible perhaps and keeping the cake in a box with some of those little dry sachet things to absorb any moisture? Or keep it in an air conditioned room?

Thankfully we're just hitting spring here in Aus so the temp is still fairly low.

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:17am
post #20 of 60

me_me1 - A lovely geode cake, I haven't tried that technique yet.

julia1812 - so sorry you are down with the flu.  Like -K8memphis I'm old enough for the flu shot AND the pneumonia shot.  Got the shingles vaccine a couple of years ago and STILL got shingles - on my face no less.  

catlharper - what fun!  Your sushi looks good enough to eat (LOL).  

Pastrybaglady - Love your cakes for the kids.  They have so much life.

Going to try to upload my pics in a few minutes.  

Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:18am
post #21 of 60

[postimage id="5064" thumb="900"] This For the husband of a friend.  Painting chocolate leaves was new to me.

Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:19am
post #22 of 60

For a 7-year-old's dolphin themed birthday.

[postimage id="5065" thumb="900"]

Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:22am
post #23 of 60

-K8memphis - This is the one in which I used your "Hot Fudge" recipe for my son-in-law's birthday.  This cake was a lot of fun.  I learned to not set the fondant decor too close to the edge.  Overnight the toadstools fell off and I had to re-attach.  I learn something new with each cake I make.

[postimage id="5066" thumb="900"]

Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:25am
post #24 of 60

And finally, this goes to the father of the 7-year-old's dolphin cake above.  Her birthday is today, his is tomorrow.  It seems his birthday always gets put on the back burner, so his wife asked me to make a smaller, simpler cake just for him.  The wife will put the hut on top after she gets it home.  All-in-all it was kind of a busy week.

[postimage id="5067" thumb="900"][postimage id="5068" thumb="900"]

Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 10:32am
post #25 of 60

Wow, the "Jon" cake looks really wonky in the picture above.  Must be the photo angle cause I looked at it again and it really is not that far off.  But, another thing I learned is that photographs of cakes seem to point out every single flaw!!!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 11:13am
post #26 of 60

julia -- i got shingles and did not have the shot -- now the shot is like $250  and it is recommended even if you already had them -- got them on my thigh -- simply could not wear clothing -- i thought i had a high tolerance to pain -- not that kind -- anyway -- getting older is not for sissies -- my leg still hurts but not bad just pestersome --

nana -- you're so cute -- 'learned not to put fondant decor too close to the edge' -- hahahaha -- i hope your son likes the hot fudge -- geez you've been busy with the chocolate leaves and that cute little elfish guy popping out the side next to the very clever mushroom steps like up the side of the tree/cake -- well done -- not to mention dolphins --

and i love all the work shown --

cat -- the sushi and sushi save are brilliant -- names on chopsticks is perfect -- i'd a never thought of that -- too cool 

me_me1 -- the geode is explosively wonderful and the rock like marble surround with the gold -- get outa here

and i always love pastrybag lady's work -- it's clean and imaginative and always so enjoyable -- gonna do a panda in a cake one day and the panda macarons maybe too -- gonna be like pbl when i grow up hahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 11:13am
post #27 of 60

i don't think i missed anybody but forgive me if i did...

-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 11:14am
post #28 of 60

nana -- and i have a jon too -- short for jonathan?

Nana52 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 11:20am
post #29 of 60

K8, no, not for Jonathan, it's just Jon.  My granddaughter is getting married next summer and she has already asked me to make a cake for her.  I'm having nightmares about flowers falling off.  I'm thinking of trying some wafer paper flowers - any thoughts?

-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 12:03pm
post #30 of 60

I've never done any wp flowers but they are so pretty -- I've worked with it a little making butterflies though -- the advantages would be how light they are and how far in advance you can make them --

I love that you get into lots of different mediums -- I say go for it -- and I'd start now with this last burst of summer weather to test & see how they handle the heat -- well it's more the humidity with those I think and it's actually getting drier here at long last but anyway --

all that to say -- you'd be placing them a la minute -- unless you hold and deliver the cake room temp which I do not recommend in the summer weather -- no worries -- just allow yourself plenty of time so you can -- also my last coupla tier cakes I had extra helpers lined up -- so keep that in the back of your mind for possible back up -- 

another thought -- when I do a family cake where I also attend the event -- I get myself excused well in advance from every other activity -- and my husband too -- so I always have at least one if not more dedicated assistants--

can't wait

but don't make your for real flowers for her cake too far in advance because she might change her mind -- unless you do white gum paste which can be dipped and colored later

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%