Trouble Putting Fondant On To Chilled Cake

Decorating By yazzie Updated 9 Sep 2016 , 3:27am by ElizabethsCakeCreations

yazzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yazzie Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 8:48am
post #1 of 11

Hi I'm quite new to cake decorating. I am having trouble putting my fondant on to my chilled cake. Ibring my cake out of the fridge ready to put fondant on it goes all sticky and I can't get very smooth as my smothers stick to it and it starts to rip ect.

I haveh rolled my fondant thicker but as I'm a novice by the time I've put the fondant over the cake and laid it over it is sticky and my smo others are sticking to it.

thank you 

10 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 8:55am
post #2 of 11

Hi Yazzie,

I find dusting some corn starch (cornflour, not sure what it's called wherever you are) on the fondant helps if I've got sticky bits. I just dust it on with a large soft paintbrush that I have especially for that purpose.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
J   :)

Holiver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holiver Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:45am
post #3 of 11

I always remove my cake from the fridge or cooler around 30-40 mins before I want to put the fondant on this allow the cake to warm up a little and gives the buttercream time to soften enough that smoothing is easier.

I also agree with the cornflour idea if it is slightly sticky =]

Hope this helps =] 

H

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:45am
post #4 of 11

I don't know if you have aircon, but I have found the best way to fondant a chilled cake is in an airconditioned room.  The aircon dries the condensation straight away so the fondant doesn't get sticky.

yazzie Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you for your replies.

i put my cake in the fridge to chill and settle with the crumb coating on I rolled the fondant a bit thicker and dusted it with cornflour.  It has been a lot better than when I chill it in the freezer. 

My cake still looks a bit bumpy should I put a thicker crumb coat on it? And it seems to bulged where the layers are sandwiched together. I am so grateful for your advice.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 11

Where your bulging is concerned, try the search button there are heaps of threads on how to prevent this from happening.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 11

Try having your cake at room temperature have the crumb coat fairly thin as perfect as you can get it. The fondant will make lumps and bumps show up more, it's like it advertises tyem. Roll out your fondant thin not thick.

Fondant is very heavy especially before you trim it the weight of it will tear a lot easier if its thick.

After you roll out your thin fondant place it on the cake and working quickly smooth it to the top of the cake and the top inch of the sides to glue it in place. 

Take a breath and start with the rest of the sides gently pulling the fondant away from the cake to remove the creases and folds. Work around the cake an inch at a time only don't smooth down to the board no matter how perfect it is.

Once you get to the bottom of the cake before you trim it take your fondant smoother and pl

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 11

Hey I  wasn't done! Place the smoother flat on your cake board and use the flat side to gently push in the bottom edge of the fondant into the cake don't push so hard to leave marks but firm enough that it's really glued in. It should now be obvious where to trim :-) hth! Good luck!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry about the grammar apparently I have something against punctuation today lol

yazzie Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 1:29am
post #10 of 11

That is so helpful thank you so much. I'm sure no one cares too much about gramma. 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 3:27am
post #11 of 11

There's a truck load of YouTube videos on applying fondant check them out :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%