Tumbler Glass Cake

Decorating By Tidido Updated 9 Sep 2016 , 6:26pm by -K8memphis

Tidido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tidido Posted 6 Sep 2016 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all!

A customer is requesting a "Manhattan glass" cake. She wants a glass tumbler with a Manhattan (the drink) and a cherry on top. I told her I could cover the cake in fondant and paint it as if there were ice cubes inside (airbrushing for the desired shade of color). I explained the top rim (edge) of the glass was my concern, since it would be supposed to be clear (transparent) but it will not be like that. She says she trusts me and she wants to go ahead with the order.

My question is: is there any other way I can build a "glass" tumbler cake? For her serving needs, I will make a double-barrel 8in round cake.

Any suggestions? I would love to build a cake that truly resembles a glass of Manhattan, but I can´t think how.

Thank you for any help you can give me!!

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2016 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 15

gelatine sheets maybe -- truth to tell I've got the stuff but never got inspired to use it on anything -- and you can also purchase gelatine sheets -- you could do isomalt but it's a big bother --

rice paper is another maybe but it is hard to find

Tidido Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you!  Isomalt would have been my choice if only she wanted the tumbler as a topper, but the whole thing is crazy!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 15

yes it's crazy and here you are trying to do it anyhow -- clear stuff is hard -- what about making the glass look etched or diamond pattern or something?

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 15

I did a cake a few years ago that was supposed to look like a glass of iced tea.  I just made the "glass" very full and used isomalt ice cubes and fondant lemon on top. The glass has a rim too. I also airbrushed the sides to give the impression of ice; the overall look was good enough that the recipient immediately recognized it. If I did it again, I might add isomalt drops to the side of the glass to look like condensation.  (I had to tie the cotton napkin around the bottom because when I delivered the cake, as I pulled into the parking lot, the glass cake tipped over and the very bottom was a bit marred, only in front of course. The napkin was a quick solution). 

[postimage id="5051" thumb="900"]

Tidido Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 15

That´s a very good idea! I will consider it, thank you! I´m not a professional baker, and although I´ve learned a lot in the two years I´ve been doing this, details such as painting and airbrushing are still a bit iffy for me. Sometimes I get it great, sometimes things look childish. Thanks for your help!

Tidido Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 15

Wow! that´s a great cake!! Yes, my idea was airbrushing, then painting the ice cubes and use isomalt cubes and fondant cherry. I´m afraid that since I´m not very skilled at painting and proportions, it may not look real. I decided to wrap the cake with fondant and then use edible images of the manhattan drink instead of airbrushing. If needed, I will paint ice cubes over that, and I will add isomalt drops and I think that may do the trick. I think if I had more time to make a test first, I could try airbrushing instead of getting the edible images, but I don´t think I will be able to do that.

Thank you for your reply!!

deuceofcakes Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 15

The airbrushing wasn't that hard, and you can try it on a piece of paper first to see if you like the results. To create the impression of an ice cube, cut out a square of cardboard. Hold that close to the cake (or paper) and gently spray around it. It leaves the center lighter and a square outline, so it gives the impression of an ice cube. You don't want it stark white so you can spray over it a little bit. You can overlap squares, change angles, and you don't even need to outline all sides. I just kind of made it up as I went along. Give it a try!  

deuceofcakes Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 15

By the way, the isomalt ice cubes really made the cake look much more realistic. You can use a silicone chocolate or ice cube mold to make them. 

Tidido Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! I will give it a try! I love the idea of the square piece of paper, and airbrushing ON paper. Not sure how I didn´t think about it before!! Very smart, thank you!!!

deuceofcakes Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 15

You're welcome! I practiced on paper beforehand, then repeated it on the fondant on the cake. I'm no airbrush pro -- I think you can do it too!  Let me know how it turns out  

Tidido Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 15

I will!! the order is for late October, but I will let you know :)

Thank you so much!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 15

oh that's great stuff, deuceofcakes -- the how to air brush the ice cubes inside the glass is brilliant

i had another random idea for the idea pot after reading all your good advice -- just a total idea -- i don't think i've ever done it exactly -- but if you can find clear hard candy you could either melt that in the ice cube trays as doc suggested or use it crushed as crushed ice? maybe? do they use crushed ice in a manhattan? idk -- random idea

Tidido Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 6:17pm
post #14 of 15

That´s a great idea too! I could do the big ice cubes in isomalt and complete with crushed "ice" candy. I´m not a cocktail drinker, but it makes sense to think that some of the ice has melted and is smaller, right?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 15

tropical_drink.png i'm a coke-aholic -- idk 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%