Black Cocoa Powder (In Canada)

Baking By kstevens Updated 30 Aug 2016 , 11:59am by -K8memphis

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 18

I have seen a few recipes now that call for black cocoa powder and would like to purchase some.  I thought there was a cake supply website that carried it but now I can't find it.  Does anyone know where I can buy it in CANADA either in store or online?  I've checked Amazon.ca but they don't seem to have it.  Amazon.com has it but it doesn't ship to Canada :-(  Some times it can be frustrating with what we can & can't get here.  This is one of those times.

17 replies
cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 18

I couldn't find it in Canada... Had to get it from here.. http://www.flourconfections.com/guittard-cocoa-noir-black-lbs-p-5956.html

kstevens Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks! Flour Confections is in Canada. I order from them quite regularly.  searched their site but it didn't come up for me.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 18

What is the difference between black cocoa powder and the "regular grocery store" bought one?  Is it more bitter as black chocolate is?  Sorry if this is a stupid question!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 18

i think it's the best way to make black icing but it's best described as the taste of Oreos kwim? 

kstevens Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 18

@Laetia ‍ it is much darker in color than the regular grocery store stuff.  The most recent recipe I saw that I want to try is called blackout chocolate cake.  It looks black in color.  I thought it would be cool for say a Halloween cake.  To my understanding it has the taste of Oreos as @-K8memphis ‍ stated.

Laetia Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 18

Oh.... I see, interesting! I might try this stuff, it sounds great!

Thanks to both of you

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 12:02am
post #8 of 18

i have a picture in my gallery of a dark little cake with lace on it -- very easy to find not much in there -- round and similar to an overgrown oreo -- that's how dark it is baked up -- it's perfectly black and it's like dealing with soot -- really delicious soot

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 12:09am
post #9 of 18

i only handle it over parchment paper -- it's ground real fine and makes a fine mess fast

Laetia Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 12:28am
post #10 of 18

That is a beautiful cake k8! Looks yummy too

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 12:39am
post #11 of 18

thank you -- it is ridiculously delicious with american buttercream made with real butter & cream -- whoa

kstevens Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 12:52am
post #12 of 18

The lace on that cake is gorgeous K8!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 4:30am
post #13 of 18

thank you kelly-- it's so much fun to make!

kstevens Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 10:22am
post #14 of 18

What is the mat you used?  Probably something I can't get here in Canada! Lol

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 1:22pm
post #15 of 18

It's one of these sunnyside bakery mats from hobby lobby  -- and there's pictures of some of the lace on page one-- then on page two post 44 & following there's pink pictures of all the mats -- so inexpensive compared to the other more designer ones -- so.much. fun.

I hope you have someone in the states that can get a package together for you -- you can pm me if you want

kstevens Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 2:36pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for the info :-)  

I have a friend who lives in the states and comes home a couple times a month.  He plays courier for me if I want smaller items that fit in his carry on bag so I just may order some or all of these!  They are so cheap!  I am also going to hit him up to bring me home some of the German's chocolate as I checked and can't find it here in the stores.  I did however find Saigon cinnamon, who knew?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 11:59am
post #18 of 18

that's right -- i've heard about your friend, the courier before -- and i would have figured canada probably had saigon cinnamon before the u.s. -- but anyway you found some too cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%