Ganache Is Too Thin- How Can I Thicken It?

Decorating By TheCinCake Updated 22 Aug 2016 , 8:50pm by Nancylou

TheCinCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCinCake Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 10

My ganache came out way too thin... Too much cream. Oops. 

How can I thicken it? Can I melt chocolate and mix it in? 

Would whipping it help? What are the "rules" on whipping ganache?

9 replies
gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 10

Personally- I'd say you have two options. First, as you said- melt some more chocolate and mix it in carefully. Second, IF YOU HAVE TIME leave it someplace cool and see if it gets thicker as it cools... May be that it'll thicken up nicely and it's just a bit fresh as yet. I've had batches which took an age to thicken and looked like messes.. but got there in the end! Best of luck! 

TheCinCake Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 10

It say overnight for 8+ hours and definitely is not thick enough. :(

Do you think I should warm the ganache before adding the melted chocolate?

TheCinCake Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 10

*sat

Does anyone think that adding melted chocolate (not melted by hot cream) will "mess up" the texture of the ganache? 

TheCinCake Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 10

Ok so I think I'm going to try and save my self some further headache and start fresh. But here's where I went wrong: obviously I added to much cream, but I find that the 2:1 ratio gets me a ganache that's too firm when eating the cake- works for structure but taste wise I feel it's too hard/dry.

So in the past I've done 1 lb milk chocolate 2 lbs dark (trader joes) and 40 oz cream and got what I was looking for.

What I did this time was 1 lb dark and 2 lbs milk and 40 oz cream, forgetting the difference in milk and dark. -_-

I will be going to wegmans now and buying callebeaut. Suggestions on dark/milk and the cream ratio?? I'm concerned too since I haven't used this brand before....:

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 10:59am
post #6 of 10

I'm probably too late in my reply but...   I did this one time and to fix it I gently heated it over a double-boiler and added more chocolate.  I continued to heat gently and stir gently until the additional chocolate was almost completely melted.  Removed from heat and stirred until all was smooth.  It worked out well.  

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 5:33am
post #7 of 10

Here is a really good write-up on ratios for chocolate ganache.  I use it and have consistent results.  It's by Sharon Zambino at Sugared Productions:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/blog/ganache-101-2/

Nancylou Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 5:34am
post #8 of 10

Ah ... that would be Sharon Zambito.  Sorry about that.

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 9:38am
post #9 of 10

Nancylou - a great article.  Contains all of the needed information  all in one place.  Thanks!

Nancylou Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 10

Oh good ... I'm glad to hear it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%