How Would You Do This?

Decorating By marya92 Updated 20 Aug 2016 , 1:35pm by gscout73

marya92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marya92 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order for this wedding cake but I can't tell from the picture how it was done.  Could I best do this with real ribbon or by somehow painting it on the cake?

8 replies
marya92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marya92 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 9

[postimage id="4964" thumb="900"]Here's the pic. 

cakeseaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeseaker Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 9

Hello mayra92. It looks to me that these are real satin ribbons. They have been glued to the fondant undernith with tiny and flat drops of royal icing and them streched out over the fondant. That shiny finishing could only be accomplished with the real fabric ribbon. I don't think that by painting them even with "super" luster powder you are going to get such a clean result.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:16am
post #4 of 9

Looks to me like fondant with luster dust. I get mine to shine by painting and then dusting.  I would do it before puting on the cake.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 2:11am
post #5 of 9

It looks like fondant, but it's hard to tell.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 4:27am
post #6 of 9

I'd say it's fondant. If you zoom in closer you can see that the ribbon actually isn't level with the side of the cake but stands out a bit if that makes sense. And I don't think it's fabric because the same fondant boarder was used around each tier base but just in white. Also it goes from thin to slightly thicker. If you would attempt to cut the satin ribbon it would fizzle too much I guess. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 4:29am
post #7 of 9

If you use yellowish fondant and then paint with Americolour gold gel couple of times you get it very shiny. Dust might leave makes on the white fondant around...

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 9

I think its fondant, look up Ron Ben Isreal I just found a video on his instagram @rbicakes I'm almost certain that cake is one of hiss

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @julia1812 on 9 hours ago

If you use yellowish fondant and then paint with Americolour gold gel couple of times you get it very shiny. Dust might leave makes on the white fondant around...

True, which is why I dust anything / everything before applying to the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%