Cream Cheese Frosting Woes

Baking By Lolita995 Updated 18 Aug 2016 , 6:52am by Chloezee

Lolita995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lolita995 Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 13

Hello Everyone...

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times.... 

I need help/tips/advice on how to make a stiff, pipeable cream cheese frosting. 

My first question is: Is pipeable cream cheese frosting actually possible?  Or is it some mythical creature like a unicorn? lol.

I like using cream cheese frosting on my cupcakes, but I shy away from using CC frosting more often because it pipes so sloppily. 

I don't know if I'm using the wrong tip to pipe (1M Wilton) or maybe the frosting isn't the right temp when I beginning piping. 

My basic recipe is room temp cream cheese (8-16 oz based on how much frosting I need), butter and powdered sugar and vanilla.  Is there an ingredient I can add to make it more stiff? 

Being I am impossibly perplexed.  Any advice.tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! 

12 replies
Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 13

Sorry to barge in. I would get all the juice out of the pineapple, then put in a tiny drop of LorAnn or similar pineapple flavour, just tiny drop, and unfortunately you have to go for PHILLADELPHIA the real one. Thick, rich and unfloppable. That is how I do it and it works so well. 

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 13

I've read before that you can use unflavored gelatin.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 13

Chloezee... I think you mis-read her post... or I did.. There isn't anything I saw about pineapple in it...

As for piping cream cheese frosting... I don't ever do more than a swirl and I don't add any extra liquid to the recipe... I just add cream cheese to my basic ABC... and I only add enough to taste... 

Lolita995 Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks so much!

I've heard the brand of cream cheese makes a difference. 

There are times the store I shop doesn't have Philadelphia brand cream cheese.  So, I get the next best thing. 

I'll definitely try the advice!  Thanks so much! 

I'll let you know how it goes!!  

Lolita995 Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks so much for responding. 

I didn't think my adding the vanilla may be affecting the outcome. 

I'll try making a batch without the extract! 

Thanks again for responding!  I appreciate it! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 1:44am
post #7 of 13

you can stiffen the icing with cornstarch -- 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 1:59am
post #9 of 13

Yes, Virginia, there is a pipable cream cheese icing. I've used it on a few of the cakes in my photos. The one I use I found here in CC. I will see if I can find it. It is delish and wonderfully stable, and I did not use gelatin or corn starch.

gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:25am
post #10 of 13

Also did not use vinegar.

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup Crisco
  • 16 oz. cream cheese
  • about 1/4 lbs powdered sugar
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions

1. mix butter, crisco, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt until all mixed together and looks smooth. add powdered sugar until desired sweetness.

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/16456/cream-cheese-buttercream#ET8bSKO8Ce6Ylv8T.99

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup Crisco
  • 16 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions

1. mix butter, crisco, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt until all mixed together and looks smooth. add powdered sugar until desired sweetness.

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/16456/cream-cheese-buttercream#ET8bSKO8Ce6Ylv8T.99

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup Crisco
  • 16 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions

gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:29am
post #11 of 13

900_mothers-day-2016-456443M1D0A.jpg

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 5:51am
post #12 of 13

@AAtKT ‍ I think she read "pipeable" as pineapple. It sounds like pineapple cream cheese would be really good though! I think the brand of cream cheese makes a difference as well as to never try to use the Neufchatel lower fat cream cheese - that stuff will not do well with frosting.

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 6:52am
post #13 of 13

ha ha ha thank you - oh I am a dunce. I read PIPEABLE as PINEAPPLE.  But you are so very correct. The more swirled it is the better it looks - delicious. When i've put some melted white chocolate in it and left it to cool, I did manage to pipe a bit but then you have to smooth out the whole thing otherwise too busy. Thank you again. Actually now that I've got that pineapple in my mind... 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%