Decorating By kstevens Updated 19 Aug 2016 , 10:25am by Nana52

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 18
17 replies
kstevens Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 18

Grrrr....good old CC.....can't post text plus images.  I should have known better!

Attempt #2, condensed version of original post.

I bought a Claire Bowman cake lace mat along with the mix a while back on sale.  It was one of those "ohhhh! It's new and cool and I might use it one day" purchases.  I finally gave it a try, well the mat, not the mix, last night.  Long story short, when I made the (online) purchase I didn't realize there was a part A and part B for the mix and I only have part A.  Went back to the website and they only seem to sell part A?? Rather odd....

I did a search and found a recipe for cake lace on Veena's Art of Cake (http://veenaazmanov.com).  She states that the recipe is not hers but one found on a CC forum a long time ago, shared by Dawn Edwards.  Apparently it is now hard to find the forum on CC.  She has added some of her own tips, visuals for the steps and it's very easy to follow.  I gave it a go and success :-)  

I thought I would share my experience in the event that someone was curious about the recipe or was looking for one that works well.  I tried the two different mats I have, the Claire Bowman "peacock" mat (smaller of the two) and the Magic Decor SMD101 mat (sorry no name for it). My results aren't perfect but I am very pleased for my first attempt.  

The recipe for the cake lace:

http://veenaazmanov.com/homemade-edible-sugar-lace-recipe/#comment-8471

Pictures to follow.

kstevens Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 18

Spread in to the mats

[postimage id="4950" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 18

Lace in peacock mold (bottom) dried a couple of hours and in SMD101 dried overnight.  No oven used.

[postimage id="4951" thumb="900"]

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 18

It looks pretty close to perfect to me!!! Thank you for this post. I just (and I do mean a couple of hours ago "just"), received my lace mat and I was skeptical on what recipe to use. I have a lingerie cake coming up this October and the customer wants the lace to glow in the dark. Still have to play around with that idea. 

Thanks again! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 18

Congratulations @kstevens ‍ they look very nice.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 18

I don't know about glow in the dark, but to glow under black light you can use tonic water...

kstevens Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 12:10am
post #8 of 18

@Miss.Reynolds ‍  I'm glad my post was helpful for you. I will say that after adding the dry ingredients to the tylose water mixture it became very stiff/thick and hard to stir.  I used a small solid silicone spatula to get it mixed well.  After adding the corn syrup it was still quite thick but easier to stir.  I added AmeriColor bright white gel paste until I was happy with the color and then a very small amount of water (1/8 tsp - 1/4 tsp maybe) to get it to a nice spreading consistency.  I've used Rolkem lumo gels for a glow in the dark effect as they are FDA approved here in Canada but to my understanding are not approved in other countries?  Best of luck to you :-)  

kstevens Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 12:14am
post #9 of 18

Thanks @MBalaska ‍.  Stay tuned in upcoming FNCC for a cake using the lace as my boyfriend's boss is getting married next month and has asked me to do their cake.  His wife to be will be wearing a dress with lace overlay and so would like the same look on the cake.  This is why I am trying it out now.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 12:25am
post #10 of 18

Best wishes and will look forward to the photo, cheers!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 1:19am
post #11 of 18

That magic Decor lace is lovely! I would love to have that, but i can't find it for sale in the us.

kstevens Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 1:53am
post #12 of 18
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:31am
post #13 of 18

That's great. Dd they charge for shipping?

kstevens Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 3:31am
post #14 of 18

Yes, they charge for shipping.  They are a Canadian company and have regular free shipping days (Tues) but you have to spend $75 or more to qualify.  There are some restrictions but they list them.  Our dollar sucks right now so you wouldn't have to even spend $75 in US dollars....

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you @Kstevens. I see some Lumo Gel on Etsy. Hopefully they can bring it to the USA smile.png

Happy Baking!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 18

This is amazing. Thanks for the information.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 1:37am
post #17 of 18

Thanks heaps for the recipe post kstevens!  Yours looks lovely   :)

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 10:25am
post #18 of 18

Lovely work.  Those are beautiful molds and your finished product looks just like lace from a gorgeous dress.  I haven't had a need for them yet, but when I do ....  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%