There's Good Old (Shiney) Luster Dust Now There's 'designer Luster Dust'

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 20 Aug 2016 , 11:28pm by AAtKT

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 21

i've lost/tossed more cake stuff than a lot of people have ever bought, no even just at home -- 45 years worth almost -- i sold a bunch at one of the retirements -- i start digging and i'm surprised at the stuff i have seriously -- but i tossed a box of venuance pearls and isomalt and fondant (it was old) recently and some old patterns and stuff i'm already regretting/missing hahahaha-- but anyway

someone may have already posted about this but i wasn't paying attention --

i'm buying the same brand luster dust, ck's -- and it is not as shiney as the old stuff -- it's barely shinier than petal dust --

the 'designer' luster dust non-toxic is nearly sans shine! should not be called 'luster'!

k8t is not a happy camper but i can add pearl dust and probably survive --

anyone else have this stuff? maybe i just have an off jar or something?

y'know if it ain't broke they don't need to try & fix it right?

20 replies
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 21

misspelled shiny -- shame on me -- don't know why 'designer" didn't automatically capitalize with the others smile.png i tried 

spell check didn't pick up 'shiney' because it means a football trading card -- who knew

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 21

where's the beef shine?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 21

ok so I added gum arabic and surprising to me it did well with the 'designer luster' in the alcohol -- which I don't have any lemon extract or grain alcohol -- I'm using maker's mark -- oh man it smells so good! and sure is shiny -- not metallic but super shiny -- good enough

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 21

@-K8memphis ‍ I'm new to using any kind of dust, "shiney" or otherwise.  I did have to buy a bottle of everclear grain alcohol to make my gold dust paint on better (hopefully).  I'm with you on the work of throwing out tons of stuff.  I had a bunch of stuff that I gave away or  took to the dump myself.  the only time I got fondant to shine was when I painted it with a mixture of corn syrup & vodka.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 21

Good to know ypu are always helpful k9memphis. Don't worry about misspellings we still can tell what you meant, darn tablets and smartphones. Once on cc I thought I put wow but when I went back to admire the work it said lol I was embarrassed

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 2:41am
post #7 of 21

When I took my first newbie Wilton class in 2010, I was in LOVE with disco dust.  Then.... in 2011 I find out on CakeCentral that it's either plastic or brass.  It was just so dang purty though!  Couldn't bear to throw it out.  Now, 5 years later I can use it on polymer clay.

About every year now, I go through my stuff and end up pitching about $100-$200 worth of stuff that has either expired or was a really dumb purchase.  It's depressing when I realize that I've wasted that much money.    Fortunately, I don't think luster dust expires in 5 years, so I've still got my supplies.  

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 10:52am
post #8 of 21

thank you, mb, get you some gum arabic -- shines like patent leather -- yeah you will like everclear for that but get a little maker's mark too -- i think it would make good perfume  ahahahahahahahaha

little jewel -- you made me laugh -- thank you! some peeps' names on here come out real bad on those pesky yet sort of handy devices -- purple_heart.png

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 21

no i hate all this mess -- it's working with silver highlighter in some of the 'designer' luster dust --

woulda worked perfect with real luster dust but (duh-uh) ...anyway but i absolutely don't understand this non lustrous luster --

would be curious if anyone else has this issue

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 21

maybe i should get some disco dust -- i've never used it before --

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 21

at home i mean, never used it at home -- i've used it in shops where i've worked

MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 21

Gum Arabic & everclear for a high shine.....that's something that I'll have to try out soon.  Sounds fun.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 21

K8... You know if you want Shiny you have got to call Kaylee... she'll take care of it Captain...

grinning.png

MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 21

"Captain tight pants" hahaha

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 12:32am
post #15 of 21

I'm not familiar with that reference?

signed, clueless

MBalaska Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 12:43am
post #16 of 21
AAtKT Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 1:23am
post #17 of 21

She was so happy to wear that dress to the ball...  smile.png

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 3:03am
post #18 of 21

the trailer won't play so I read up on it a little -- I think I had to be there kwim -- stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 21

no it looks better with plain old pearl on top i guess

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 7:39pm
post #20 of 21

AAtKT, I got that reference!  I now use the adjective "shiny" to describe any new and interesting thing, but it does garner me some strange looks at times :-)

AAtKT Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 11:28pm
post #21 of 21

Lizzie... just join me (and MB if she wants)... we can all enjoy Serenity... But I get to stay in Jayne's quarters with him... smile.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%