Friday Night Cake Club For 8/5/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 11 Aug 2016 , 10:26am by LelekBolek

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 3:44am
post #1 of 30

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

29 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 3:46am
post #2 of 30

Hi everyone!

It's been quite the week. My mom moved in last weekend and life has been a crazy version of my regular busy life plus trying to get our home back under control. Thank goodness I had no baking due! But this upcoming week will be different. I have the office cake due this upcoming Thursday. I'm going to attempt to make it look like a stack of pancakes! Wish me luck!

Cat

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 7:45am
post #3 of 30

I hear you Cat, I haven't been around much either because there's been too many people in our house the last couple of weeks (MIL's family; utter chaos and family drama)=lots of junk food around so no need or desire to bake anything, plus hubby and I stayed in hotels for some nights. Next weekend we are going to MN to visit my family and friends.

Cheers to all!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 30

Hey Cat there's an awesome YouTube video of how to make pancakes, just search "how to cake it" I love her!

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 30

Nothing baking here, too. 

And also a super-busy week. Hot. Humid. I am done with summer such as this, I can do with a few days of less-than-scorching temps. I find this makes everyone quite testy around here, and also tired.  

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 30

I'm done until I open my shop. Just have the old Hollywood wedding cake in September. Now it's just collecting equipment :-)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 30

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3375137/sunflower-daisies-in-bucket-cake-mbalaska-7312016

Practiced on 3 sunflowers before I arrived at the 4th one that I liked. So many flowers to make yet, and so little time to try them all. 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 30

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ I would agree with you in that Yolanda Gampp (How to Cake It) has awesome videos.  I'm about to re-wath her book one.  My only complaint with her is that she's in Canada but has her tees made in the states so they are priced in US dollars which makes a big difference :-(

It's stupid warm/humid here again and I am over it!  I am looking forward to fall when it's cooler outside and more tolerable to do things and just live. Lol

I did a Furby Connect cake for delivery last night.  The birthday girl was speechless.  It was pretty cute as normally she's quite the little chatter box.  Tonight I am working on a find a word themed cake.  I have al the details ready but am not going to attempt to assemble it until later on when it's hopefully cooler.  I'll post the Furby after this and the find a word cake tomorrow.

kstevens Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 30

[postimage id="4868" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 30

[postimage id="4869" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 2:08am
post #11 of 30

Great furby cake! 

MBalaska Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 2:16am
post #12 of 30

@kstevens ‍ your cake is adorable, very bright and colorful, well done.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 2:22am
post #13 of 30

My daughter would love such a cute furby cake!

I have a rare weekend off, so relaxing and enjoying others cakes!  YAY!

catlharper Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 2:36am
post #14 of 30

Thank you all SO much for the tip to go watch the youtube video! It made it all so much clearer for me! Now you know what I'll be doing in a few days time! LOL!

Great Furby cake @kstevens ‍ They still creep me out but I bet the kid loved it!

Cat

kstevens Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 3:35pm
post #15 of 30

@MBalaska ‍I already commented on your cake when I saw it in the gallery but I'll say it again because it's worth the praise, it's beautiful!

@catlharper ‍furbys majorly creep me out too!  Actually there are lots of kids toys that I find creepy.  Looking forward to seeing your pancake cake.

Thank you @gscout73 ‍ and @Singerssoul ‍ for your comments :-) . 

I had to cut my first post short as unexpected company arrived as I was typing yesterday.  Furbys now intereact with iPads hence the name Furby connect.  Sydney was getting the pink one for her birthday is why her mom requested it for the cake.  The details around the cake represent things that are found in the app, lots of crazy looking trees, bright mushrooms and a happiness meter. The furbys hatch from eggs is why there is one next to the furby.  Apparently she was quite perplexed by how I knew so much about Furbys and the app. Lol.

My second cake gave me some grief due to the heat.  Both my buttercream and fondant were super soft but I managed to get it done and was happy with it in the end.  It was for an 83rd birthday for someone who enjoys doing find a words.  I used an image of a find a word book as my guide and included words that have meaning to the birthday lady.  I made it volume 83 since it was for her 83rd birthday.  

kstevens Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 3:37pm
post #16 of 30

[postimage id="4870" thumb="900"]

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 30

So cool! Nice job!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 4:13pm
post #18 of 30

Nice cakes @kstevens ‍ ! Your furby one is my favorite. I just want to hug this not-so-creepy little thing... Well done.

@MBalaska ‍ simply beautiful. I've been wondering since I saw your cake the first time... How did you do the center of the sunflower? I've zoomed the picture many times. Still not figure it out!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 30

@kstevens ‍ my mother would love that Furby cake. For having trouble with the word cake it looks amazing.

@MBalaska ‍ love your cake.

No baking and I agree I am ready weather that isn't hot, humid, and hot. 

MBalaska Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 30

Having spent a ton of time looking at cakes,  your book cake @kstevens ‍ is the most detailed and delightful book EVER!  Well done.smiley.png

Thank You @Marian64 ‍ 

Craftsy class on making sunflowers got me started, @Laetia ‍  Nicholas Lodge was the instructor on making centers, then paint them for the deep color.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 8:33pm
post #21 of 30

Thanks MBalaska. Again, beautifull work!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2016 , 11:33am
post #23 of 30

looking forward to pancakes in Hollywood or something like that, cat & elizabeth blush.png

mb, that sunflower masterpiece is so fresh and my antonia-ish Willa Cather 

brb -- gotta take my doggie out...

kstevens Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 12:11pm
post #24 of 30

Thanks everyone for the comments on my creations. Often times I use cakes I see online for inspiration but these cakes were both my own designs so it feels extra nice to get positive feedback on them.

@MBalaska ‍ your comment on my book cake.....wow!  Thanks!!  relaxed.png

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 11:23pm
post #25 of 30

The family’s responses to my latest cake were somewhat amusing.  Things like: “OMG – That cake is gross!!!”, “That is one pissed-off looking bug!”, “I’m not eating that!”

Hey my nephew (28 years old) asked for a bug cake, and that is what I gave him.  I didn’t plan on it looking this creepy.  Honestly, I didn’t.

[postimage id="4897" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 1:18am
post #26 of 30

It's pretty cool but also kinda creepy at the same time.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 1:39am
post #27 of 30

@moreCakePlz ‍ definitely looks like a creepy bug, but aren't bugs supposed to be creepy.

catlharper Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 5:09am
post #28 of 30

@moreCakePlz ‍ Bugs are supposed to be creepy...yours is creepy beautiful!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 11:35pm
post #29 of 30

Thanks guys!!  I have to do an "elegant" wedding shower cake this weekend for my niece and I'm hoping my peeps will be happier with this one.  On second thought I might just stick some gumpaste bugs on the flowers just to creep them out!!

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 10:26am
post #30 of 30

@kstevens ‍ - I love the word search cake.  What great design idea for a birthday! 

I am still in a drought as far as the cake orders for this week, but it is ok, I have a lot to do otherwise, like, A Lot. And I am secretly happy about no cakes - the weather calamity continues, with super heat, and matching humidity. 

I am working on designing some cakes for later, in the coming couple of months, and will need to practice a few things before one of them is done "for real", but nothing is due. 

My kids wanted to run a baked goods- and- coffee stand some morning, but it is so hot even at 7 AM, that I told them they'd have to wait until later. They participate in muffins and cupcakes making, so it isn't like I do it all, and they go sell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%