Smbc Beading In The Fridge

Decorating By karmen.wong Updated 11 Aug 2016 , 11:20pm by karmen.wong

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 12:06am
post #1 of 6

I have a weird question, for my fellow bakers that is smbc, my cakes that are smooth on  the outside get put in the fridge and taken out a couple times to get scraped, but after a day when I check they have little beads of sugar syrup on the outside  this does not happen to my " rustic" finished cakes where I decorate and then leave in the fridge Untill delivery  can anyone give me a solution or a cause as to why this is happening? I'm stumped, my smbc does have a high sugar ratio  - but this does not explain why it would happen to one cake and not the other  

5 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 1:56am
post #2 of 6

The moisture follows gravity, if it's a smooth cake it will just collect at the bottom. Your rustic cakes have tons of ridges to catch the moisture. If you want your cake room temperature, bring down the temperature slowly   Put it in a very air conditioned room from the fridge. Then regular room temperature.

Also when you put your cake in the fridge keep it in a cardboard box, the cardboard will absorb the moisture.

Hth :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 6

when mixing the meringue, start at low speed and gradually increase so all the molecules of all the stuff get sucked up efficiently in the emulsion -- scrape the bowl -- get everything well incorporated -- make sure your butter is not too warm to start with -- you don't want any to melt and leach water out that pokes up to the surface later --

the action of the mixer itself produces friction/heat so use chilly ingredients esp in summer heat

karmen.wong Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 6

It donst seem to be collecting moisture on the bottom of the cake. and its not water... its sugar syrup seeping out of the buttercream, even when in a box. it seeps out. I am wondering if this has to do with applying buttercream to half frozen cakes?

Quote by @ElizabethsCakeCreations on 1 day ago

The moisture follows gravity, if it's a smooth cake it will just collect at the bottom. Your rustic cakes have tons of ridges to catch the moisture. If you want your cake room temperature, bring down the temperature slowly   Put it in a very air conditioned room from the fridge. Then regular room temperature.

Also when you put your cake in the fridge keep it in a cardboard box, the cardboard will absorb the moisture.

Hth :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 6

i ice my frozen cakes all the time -- your emulsion is not tight enough -- slow mixing then ramp it up gradually to collect every bit into your meringue -- use chilly butter not soft

karmen.wong Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, Maybe I just have to scrape my bowl more, I never do because its a 25 qt mixer and the whisk is huge and gets in the way!

Thanks so much for the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%