Royal Icing Cupcake Toppers - When To Top, How To Store?

Decorating By amandamotley Updated 2 Aug 2016 , 7:46pm by amandamotley

amandamotley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamotley Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 6

I'm very out of practice and am doing a cake and cupcakes for a baby shower this weekend.  I made royal icing tiaras for the cupcake toppers, but I'm wondering how far in advance I can get away with topping them.  I'm in Houston (very humid), so I'm worried about them melting.  

I'll use a crusting buttercream, which should help, but is topping them the day before serving too early?  I'd really like to keep them in an airtight cupcake carrier/container so they don't dry out.  I also thought about using piping gel to glue a toothpick to either side of the tiara and sticking them in the cupcakes that way, so I can leave some space between the buttercream and the tiaras, and the shower hostess can just push them in right before the shower.  Seems like a lot of extra work though.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions and expertise!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 6

i would place them on after setting up, upon delivery --

but would royal icing survive being dipped in chocolate? maybe you could dip the bottom of them in white chocolate -- or brush it on for a little protection -- idk -- wild thought -- or you pipe a chocolate landing pad on each cupcake top?

i think putting toothpicks in a cup cake is not the best idea maybe

definitely do not enclose the tiaras in with the cupcakes in advance --

lemme know what you decide and how it all works out 

amandamotley Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you!  Dipping the bottom in chocolate is a good idea - maybe i'll try that out tonight.  I had some frozen cake that I thawed so I could test out topping it ahead and leaving overnight.  I'm not delivering these - a friend is picking them up a day in advance of the shower (she lives an hour away and I'm doing it for free), so I'd like to have them totally ready to go if possible.  Maybe just a cupcake box that isn't airtight would work.  If my test doesn't go well I'll definitely try the piped white chocolate!  Worst case, she'll have to place the tiaras right before the shower.  They're just so delicate and I don't want her to break them at the last minute!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 6

oh I see your dilemma -- another idea is to reinforce them a bit by over piping on the inside? maybe -- best of the best to you -- lemme know how it all goes

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 6

Tell the friend to place them just before the shower.  Tell her to be SUPER careful with transportation and setting them on the cupcakes because sure as shootin' she'll end up with tiara pieces when she tries to jam them into crusted buttercream that will put up some resistance. 

Make extras for breakage.

amandamotley Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks yall! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%