How Much Responsibility Do I Take??!!

Decorating By Cyourbaker Updated 31 Jul 2016 , 10:22pm by kakeladi

Cyourbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyourbaker Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 15

I'll try to make this short and "sweet" , but first let me preface I did two things I never do and regret now. I met a person half way for a three tiered kids cake and I showed a picture of the final product instead of the actual cake because it was all taped shut. ok now to the story

to skip to the middle I received a text shortly after meeting with this couple that the cake had fallen apart and was there anything I could do. I asked for a picture to see what we were dealing with. the top two tiers completely came out of the supports and shifted so the base was crushed. I know when I put the cake in their car(never again will I do that they will) the cake was not off center so I know it was intact. 

my question is how much responsibility do I take ? They are a repeat customer so I offered to remake the base and repair the top two the best i could with the time I had before the childs party, or give a credit($108). Their reply was they wanted a refund so they could get a new cake since they would not need another cake from me for a year.  that stuck in my craw and they did not return any of the cake. The top two were salvageable with a little help. I (knock on wood) have never had a cake fail like that with the structure I use. I will structure the crap out of it from now on!!!!!!! How much responsability do you take for cake fails like that. If It is on me I'll take it but this one nutuh. Help !

14 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 15

Was the cake cold when you delivered it, or room temperature? If it  was room temp, you get the blame. If it was cold, chances are they slammed on the brakes to make it shift that much.

Either way, this just needs to be looked at as an annoying learning experience. Just refund the money and take mental notes about things you won't do next time that could have helped avoid this happening. Whether it's delivering the cake cold, not letting people pick things up, making them sign a release if they do pick it up, adjusting your supports, whatever, just look at it as a lesson learned for future reference.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 15

a different opinion -- i've worked for many bakeries that did not refrigerate their cakes -- so that's not a hard and fast rule in my world -- although i refrigerate all my cakes especially the ones customers picked up -- anything that traveled by car -- so with that said the folks need to/ should have given you back the cake before you refund -- 

but that was kinda in your face -- they say is there anything you could do -- and they disregard your good offer and say refund -- so anyway -- idk -- it's just kinda messed up --

but of course how could they know how you could have revived it either -- idk this is toughy -- probably should refund but not without the dang cake

(you did  a three tier cake for $108? yikes)

what did you wind up doing -- or are you still in the valley of decision

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 12:43am
post #4 of 15

Whether they drove a little fast or simply had a case of cake regret, you should follow one simple rule: whoever gets the cake pays for it. If they keep the cake, they pay. If you get it back, you pay. NOBODY gets both.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 2:26am
post #5 of 15

I agree with jgifford....return the ENTIRE cake if you want a refund!  You can't return one shoe or half a shirt to a store and expect a refund...same goes here.  99% willing to bet they slammed the breaks or hit a big pothole or something.  I know it's inconvenient...but I deliver all TIERED cakes....even if it means a delivery charge. 

If you are going to let people pick up the cake, then they should see it...I'd even take a pix with them by it for proof it was perfect when they left with it...even have them sign a release before leaving that they accept responsibility for the cake from that point on!

costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:16am
post #6 of 15

I disagree with the return the whole cake thing. They weren't saying that the cake was dry or tasted bad, so they probably tried to salvage it and serve what they could at a party that needed a cake. Since there was no checking to see if the cake was fine when it was handed off, you can't be sure that it was okay, unfortunately. People say that the customer should return the whole cake all the time but that isn't realistic when they were probably panicking and trying to fix it enough to serve what they could.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 9:37am
post #7 of 15

Write this one off to experience and pay the refund. 

You are aware of what you should not have done and because you have no idea if the cake was damaged when you handed it over you can't blame them.  Even though the cake felt centred when you put it in their car, because you didn't see it you don't know if the top tiers had already started to shift.

We live and learn grin.png

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:08am
post #8 of 15

i agree that most times people are panicked and have to serve the cake even though it didn't arrive intact -- that's very true --

but in this particular case the clients rejected her offer to provide servings by re-baking the bottom tier and putting humpty back together for presentation -- they literally said, we want our money so we can go buy another cake -- of course they were disappointed but kudos to you, you did step up

so at that point in time time full refund and cyourbaker, you shoulda asked for and got the cake back -- it's not too late --

oh wait, but you didn't refund the money so they couldn't replace it --

I'm sensing money is tight all the way around here but I could be wrong --

you should refund, they should have returned it, you shoulda asked for it back, still could --

how many servings was it, what size, did you advise them how carefully to drive -- put that on the list for next times --

sorry this happened -- best to you

Cyourbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyourbaker Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you for all the support and insight. I did end up refunding their money. I decided I made to many mistakes of my own and learned a "valuable" lesson.  After communicating  with them I think they had a rough day ,money was tight and stressed I thought it was best. They were not crotchety towards me so that sure helped and we just moved past it. At the end of the day and unfortunately negative word of mouth spreads faster than positive. They said have been very happy with cakes in the past and things just happen. 

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 15

Just out of curiosity @Cyourbaker ‍, what support system did you use? I'm very partial to SPS but at the prices you're charging it's a bigger overhead. I personally don't let anyone walk out on their own with anything larger than a two tier, it's just asking for trouble since most folks are not used to driving around with a cake in the back of their car.  I even use a CakeSafe to deliver - I've hit potholes (you can't avoid them in NY) and 5+ tier cakes are fine. 

Regards,

Frank

Tootie224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootie224 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 15

I've never had that happen, but since they didn't want you to repair the cake, (which was very nice of you- I'd do the same thing), I'd refund the money, chalk it up to experience, but I wouldn't want the cake back.  I agree it sounds like money might have been an issue.

I just deliver all my cakes that are bigger than 9"  and make sure the client sees that everything is perfect and, if needed, I set it up if it's more than 2 tiers.  That way I can repair any damage and make sure everyone's happy.  The only time I didn't do that was when I delivered a cake hundreds of miles away for a destination wedding for good friends.  The wedding was 2 days after I delivered and they kept the boxed cake layers in a refrigerator and stacked it themselves.  I left a picture of the finished cake so they'd know.  They did a good job and it looked just like I planned.  Lucked out and got a nice weekend at a lake resort.

Live and learn!  Good luck.

costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 15

Quote by @Cyourbaker on 2 hours ago

Thank you for all the support and insight. I did end up refunding their money. I decided I made to many mistakes of my own and learned a "valuable" lesson.  After communicating  with them I think they had a rough day ,money was tight and stressed I thought it was best. They were not crotchety towards me so that sure helped and we just moved past it. At the end of the day and unfortunately negative word of mouth spreads faster than positive. They said have been very happy with cakes in the past and things just happen. 

And by doing that for a repeat customer you probably just got a lot more business for the future and good word of mouth. Too bad it had to happen, but it sounds like you handled it well and it will benefit you in the long run in terms of experience and building goodwill with your customers.

tcoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcoll Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 15

tcoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcoll Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 15

Sorry to hear this disaster for you, but chin up it happens sometimes, but now you know the mistakes you made and now from all the wise advice from everyone on CD, now you know what not to do next time.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 15

......K8 said:  .........a different opinion -- i've worked for many bakeries that did not refrigerate their cakes -- so that's not a hard and fast rule in my world 

I also have delivered 100s of cakes that were not refrigerated.....with only the occasional horrible disaster found once I arrived. I have one (that I can remember) who insisted on picking up a 2 (possibly 3) tier, then called saying it had come apart.  I never saw the disaster in ? so was unable to do any repairs.  Don't remember for sure but don't think I refunded any $$ as they had insisted on p/u against my firm suggestion otherwise.

....Jeff said:  ....If you are going to let people pick up the cake, then they should see it...I'd even take a pix with them by it for proof it was perfect when they left with it.
This is a great suggestion.   We all need to think like you do :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%