Friday Night Cake Club For 7/29/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 1 Aug 2016 , 4:13am by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 3:37am
post #1 of 22

Opening up another session of the FNCC! All levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can.

Hope to see some great cakes this week!

Cat

21 replies
Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 22

Here are the Groom's cake and Completed wedding cake...[postimage id="4790" thumb="900"][postimage id="4791" thumb="900"][postimage id="4792" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 22

gorgeous!

I'm having difficulties with my own birthday cake because of humidity. It isn't a huge cake or anything. For tomorrow. This weather just makes fondant stay wet and bleh and such. But then again, I'm my own worse critic, it may not turn out as horrible as I think.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 22

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ love the wedding cake. Did you make the jeep on the grooms cake? Love them both.

Happy Birthday @LelekBolek ‍ I am sure your cake will turn out great. I feel you on the humidity. 

Nothing for me for awhile.

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 22

@LelekBolek ‍ thanks :)...had some issues weather wise too...thankfully not too bad :)

Hope things go smoothly

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 22

Wedding Cake is 16, 12, 9 and 6 inches tiers all different flavors.[postimage id="4793" thumb="900"]

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 2:57am
post #7 of 22

@Creativeconfectioner ‍your cakes turned out great!  The flowers are very pretty.

@LelekBolek ‍Happy Birthday! Looking forward to seeing your creation.  I feel your pain with the humidity, it's the same issue where I live.

@Natka81 ‍pretty cake.  I like your effect on the bottom and 2nd tiers.

I did three cakes this week and was able to tick a couple off my "cakes I want to make" list.  My first one was a house warming cake for a girl on my soccer team.  She just split up from her partner of ten years and bought herself a new home.  I kept it relatively simple because of the heat/humidity.  It's a marble cake with chocolate buttercream and covered in fondant with gumpaste details.  The house I made with the FMM More Than a Birdhouse Cutter.  Before she cut it she removed the house to save.  Lol

My second cake was for supper with my boyfriend's dad and his wife.  They are here for the summer from Florida and have never had one of my cakes.  I used the opportunity to try out a melted ice cream cone cake.  It was really quite fun to do.  The cake is a 6" sour cream lemon pound cake with bright (lemon) yellow buttercream.  The ice cream is a giant cake pop and the drip effect is white chocolate ganache.  I added the pink color to the cream before I heated it and it worked like a charm :-) 

My last cake was for a family meal tonight, a sort of belated birthday get together.  My boyfriend, his brother, mother and step dad all have birthdays in June and this was the first weekend everyone was free at the same time.  I tried a new recipe called Slutty Brownie Cake (from What's Gabby Cooking) but changed up how I decorated it.  I keep seeing the drip cakes online either by Katherine Sabbath or inspired by her and have been wanting to do one so this occasion worked.  It was my first time making SMBC and thanks to replies from members here, especially @Frank68 ‍ ‍ , I found the help and little push I needed to make it as I almost wimped out and didn't do it.  This is my first semi naked cake.  I'm usually not a fan of them but don't mind them with the drip effect and overload of goodies on top.  Not thrilled with my drips as my ganache should have been thinner but now I know better for next time.  The cake was a big hit, everyone really liked the SMBC as did I, so I'll be using it more down the road.

Pictures to follow :-) 

kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 2:59am
post #8 of 22

Housewarming cake:

[postimage id="4794" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 2:59am
post #9 of 22

[postimage id="4795" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:05am
post #10 of 22

[postimage id="4796" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:07am
post #11 of 22

My SMBC isn't quite even between the layers but I was the only one who noticed.  I added a little gold luster dust to the mini Oreos and some of the chocolate things for a little something extra.  

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 7:17am
post #12 of 22

@kstevens I love the last cake. Looks super delicious! Who cares about even layers as long as it has chocolate goodies on it LOL.

@Natka81 wow! The bc looks super smooth and I like the simplicity of the cake.

@creativeconfectioner did you make those flowers? Beautiful! 

I don't have any cakes at the moment as out family is here to visit - yuhu! Just playing around with options to serve them booze hahaha. So far I made lemon vodka shot wedges and screwdrivers. Both super simple (juice, alcohol and gelatine - sugat to taste) but a nice surprise for dessert. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 7:22am
post #13 of 22

[postimage id="4801" thumb="900"]

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 22

Wow fantastic cakes!! I had trouble this week with the heat and humidity I had to make a buttercream rosette cake it got very soft at one point but it held up fine in the end!!

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 22

[postimage id="4803" thumb="900"]

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 22

I'm late to the party...  I don't post many pictures, and frankly, I forget to take photos of most of the cakes I do.  I just don't think about it.  I took a picture of this one because it was for a friend of mine and this was at the house she was having her wedding so I was there.  She asked for 5 dragonflies and 6 butterflies (to represent relatives who were no longer alive and couldn't be there) and blue roses.  This was taken after one of the children there dismembered a couple of the butterflies as it was sitting in the house before the wedding.  LOL!

[postimage id="4809" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 22

[postimage id="4812" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 9:41pm
post #18 of 22

Mine is nowhere near the stained glass one, which is gorgeous btw. 

I was just messing around really.  Here it is without top stuff[postimage id="4813" thumb="900"]

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 10:20pm
post #19 of 22

[postimage id="4814" thumb="900"]Posted on another thread, but this is my last cake for a while. I can't wait to open my storefront so I can get to work!

kstevens Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 10:47pm
post #20 of 22

@julia1812 ‍ I could use one of those lemon vodka shot wedges right about now.  Long story short my boyfriend's son has been with us all week and I've had my fill.  I don't have children of my own and there's a reason for it, no patience.  12 year old boys are gross! Lol

@shellbell181 ‍ tough cake to pull off in the heat.  Glad it turned out for you and it looks great.

@BrandisBaked ‍ your cake is really very pretty. You should share them with us more often :-) 

@LelekBolek ‍ your peacock feathers are really well done.  Looks like you had fun playing around.

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ your teapot turned out great!  I saw it on the other thread and no idea it was a mix of buttercream and fondant.  Excellent color matching!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 10:56pm
post #21 of 22

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 4:13am
post #22 of 22

Hi Everyone! Just stopping in real quick to look at all of your amazing cakes! They are SO beautiful! My mom is moving in this weekend and I'm working so there has been almost no time for anything else! Thank you all for keeping this forum going!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%