Dissatisfied Customer Question

Baking By CakesByLaura_LLC Updated 1 Aug 2016 , 11:12am by -K8memphis

CakesByLaura_LLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLaura_LLC Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 9

Hello.

I made a Coconut Cream topped with Meringue this morning and delivered it. I have no idea how long the pie sat out un-refrigerated,  after I delivered it. I actually made two of the pies...its a new recipe so I wanted one for the family too. 

I had let my customer know the pie was delivered to the state office. I asked her to let me know how it turned out. I just received a text message from her and here is her response. "Hi Laura  I wanted to thank you for trying to make the pie but the meringue was a little runny and the filling was not what I expected it to be. I am sorry."

I just took out the second pie and cut a piece. The meringue appears to have set well during the 10 minute baking at 325* and the coconut filling is also not runny. There is a very slight moisture barrier between the cream and meringue though but it does not appear to have comprised the quality of the pie. 

I am unsure how to respond to her because I have never had a dissatisfied customer until now. How would you handle this situation with tack and would you compensate the customer?

Thank you.....

Laura

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 9

was she aware that the pie should be kept refrigerated? meringues can be difficult huh -- I would definitely check with her to see if she handled it correctly but then again if she wasn't informed -- y'know?

some people are clueless -- and one other thing -- that delivery method where you don't have any contact w/her that was pre-arranged i guess -- why wasn't she there?

sorry that happened though -

but just because the filling wasn't what she expected doesn't mean it wasn't awesome but of course I wasn't there either -- just don't know wasn't there but meringues can be devilish

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 9

Did you taste it?how did it taste to you and your family? If no one else thought if tasted off I would think it has to be something that happened at the customer's work. After tasting I would contact the customer. Then again like k8memphis said it could have been delicious, but not what she usually eats

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 1:51am
post #4 of 9

I'd ask if it was refrigerated or not, since that would explain the watery consistency. Don't be defensive, just say that you wanted to figure out what happened for future reference since you made two of them and the one that you had was fine. 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 2:47am
post #5 of 9

Don't offer money back unless she asks

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 9

Her comment of   "I wanted to thank you for trying to make the pie but the meringue was a little runny and the filling was not what I expected it to be. I am sorry."  is interesting. 

DId she specifically ask you to make a certain recipe that you hadn't made before?

Was she expecting you to replicate something she'd had elsewhere?

Did you give her specific instructions that the pie was to remain refrigerated until serving? (If this is an item that needs to stay refrigerated in order to stay safe (not spoiled) and maintain proper texture you need to instruct the client as such.)

If this was me and she had asked me to make a recipe that I was unfamiliar with or to replicate something she'd had elsewhere I would definitely apologize for it not being what she expected. I would not offer a refund unless asked.  

If I had given instruction that the pie was to remain refrigerated I would also add that in the note, and explain that in order for the pie to maintain integrity it needs to be chilled.

CakesByLaura_LLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLaura_LLC Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 2:55am
post #7 of 9

Hello Ladies, Thank you for your responses to my post. I appreciate the time you took to respond. 

This order came as a referral from a classmate/friend. My friend asked me the first few "order" questions and then I was passed onto the lady who wanted the pie. I still do not know all of the details. I just know that I was asked to drop of the pie with said "friend" before 12:00 noon because she was leaving for the day. She would put the pie in the fridge. I was unable to directly contact "friend" but let a message at the front office to let my friend know the delivery had been made. I did tell the two front desk workers that this pie needed to be put into a fridge asap. 

After I got back outside, I left a message for my friend that the delivery was made. I have not heard back from her yet. I also text messaged the "owner of the pie" that it had been delivered.  Later in the evening is when I received a message from the "Owner of the pie." I told her I was sorry the pie was not what she was looking for. I did not initiate any more dialog. She asked to be reimbursed for half of her cost. 

What I take away from this sale is a few things. I will never again deliver any product without it going to the person who ordered it, or obtaining a signature for release. 

~~~~Laura

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 10:26am
post #8 of 9

What a shame, it just proves the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished" you were acting in good faith on behalf of a "friend" and your refrigeration instructions were probably not adhered to. Best of future luck x

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 11:12am
post #9 of 9

yeah what cakebaby said and I'm really sorry this happened -- the way it all played out is kind of irritating me -- it's like you're being kept at arm's length or something -- weird --

two thoughts I have -- deliver refrigerated stuff like this in insulated wrapping with a freezer pack or double bagged ice cubes or something in there to help keep things cold -- charge for it but try & keep it disposable -- box of frozen spinach or something -- no just kidding sorta -- climate control 

anf the other thing is meringues are unpredictable at best -- at room temp they are better but usually are on things that need to be refrigerated and in going in & out the fridge -- they just weep a little -- 

i mean she coulda drove home with it in the sun -- coulda stopped at the store, parked in the sun....

at least you gotta good coconut pie out of the deal!

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%