Business Name Help!

Business By kaybray3 Updated 11 Aug 2016 , 8:09pm by joy5678

kaybray3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaybray3 Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I am trying to come up with a name for my business. Under my previous business, my name was Cupcakes by Kayla. My baking has expanded far beyond just cupcakes so I want something that isn't as specific. I have come up with Bakery Chic....my question is: when you read that, do you automatically think it's pronounced like 'sheek' or 'chick'? I want a very elegant name and I like the word Chic but I'm afraid too many people will think it's pronounced chick. If this name doesn't work out, I'm thinking of something with a flower in it...ex: Magnolia Bakery (of course I wouldn't use that one, it's just an example:) I like the word Azalea (Azalea Bakery or Azalea Bake Shop) because it means love of nature and naturalist and since I make everything from scratch I thought that could be a good name. What do you think, is Bakery Chic good or should I go the flower route?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 10

flower --

i always like address names -- it's a twofer -- memphis bakes -- cooper young deli -- cooper & young is an intersection -- 42nd street bakes -- just a thought

but i would go with the flower of those two choices because otherwise you'll end up correcting peeps and that's not gonna be that cool right?

kaybray3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaybray3 Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you K8memphis, the more I've been thinking about Bakery Chic, the more I'm leaning away from it. I don't want to have to correct people all the time. I asked another person about the Azalea Bake Shop name and they said it reminded them of the rapper Iggy Azalea. I never thought about that. I can see the familiarity but it isn't big enough to bother me. I still haven't come up with a name I want to keep. I want to make sure I pick the right one because after about a week of having Cupcakes by Kayla established, I was annoyed with the name!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 10

try to think of a location thing maybe? something more generic but catchy too 

like this is dumb but "double A baking" tagline is "we're artistic and accurate "-- blah that's obviously not a good one but my thought is lean more matter of fact than cutesy 

or something :)

names are tough -- I was acme cakes 

I know what I mean --less personal more commercial

maybe

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 10

I cast a big vote for location in your business name.  Every one of my businesses has/had the city name in it.  Also helps with internet searches.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 10

Even though you're now more than cupcakes, are you considering still keeping your name in the business name (somewhere) so people know it's still you? 

I don't love a flower name unless it has significance to your area (Peachtree Georgia anyone?) or connects back to you somehow.  And YUP to leah_s location  in the name unless you are planning immediate worldwide expansion - then add the name Worldwide to it!

If you really want to go personal and include your location call yourself Aunt Kayla's on Main  (more homemade, doesn't limit what you are making and gives your location!)  Or Mama Kayla's Bakeshop on Main!  Something like that!

Good luck!

T

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 10

I guess not everyone speaks french so yes people will pronounce it chick most likely (bakery chick

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 10

Oh shoot. Half my post is missing.

Anyway...here I go again.

Love @K8memphis location suggestion.

Personally I like unusual names as they stick in people's heads but depends on your area.

Sugar & eggs

A pinch of love

Hell's oven

Etc

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 10

Here it seems businesses stick with their last name (us included) and a lot of businesses have our city in their name. I was just thinking as a consumer what names I usually remember and it's those with last names and when the city name is incorporated. for example I live right by a dry cleaners have for 6 years I can't tell you the name of it right off the top of my head but I know the name of the one a few miles away bc it's their last name lol. Naming our business was hard and I had a lot of cute ones I liked bc we are a husband and wife team I thought "his and hers bakery" was cute my husband not so much lol. creating a name and a brand for your business takes some serious thought. I hated our business cards after about a week too finally got our new ones that coordinate with our delivery van and I'm a happy camper but it took a year to brand ourselves. If we would have named it his and hers I wouldn't probably like it still. Hope you share with us what you end up choosing :)

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 10

Oh my goodness!  I know I'm not crazy now. Thank you. I've been driving myself and my family and my friends crazy trying to come up with a name I really like.  Even took a survey on Facebook but I'm still stuck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%