Help With Marbled Fondant Technique

Decorating By Naivohw Updated 28 Jul 2016 , 5:21pm by kakeladi

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 7

[postimage id="4731" thumb="900"]

The bakery I work at is doing a dummy cake for a photo shoot, very similar style to the photo above. Basically it's going to mimic the look of the "geode" cakes without the actual crystals. I've marbled fondant on a small scale but it was pretty basic, just partially kneading two colors together and then rolling it out. This has so much more depth, is it painted? We are going to do more "peacock" colors, teal green and blue but also incorporate some purple and maybe a dash of pink. And the gold leave too. I've got luster dust but I've never done the gold leaf look. Any help would be so much appreciated :)

6 replies
Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 7

From what I see it looks like the cake has been painted over light blue fondant.....my take on what I am seeing...to marble this especially over several tiers seems far too precise for the marbling process as I know it ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2016 , 11:44am
post #3 of 7

That was painted...I did a couple of videos on how to paint this on buttercream, and you should basically get a picture of some marble and use that as a guideline, but it's painted, not kneaded into the fondant. Here's part 1, it's kind of a long video but I did the whole thing. It's on buttercream, like I said, but you'll get the idea. 

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 27 Jul 2016 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

That video by @costumeczar is awesome - I watched it twice when she first posted it, and am gearing up to try it out myself today!  It's definitely less intimidating when someone walks me through it step by step.

tcoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcoll Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 7

tcoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcoll Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 7

Ash oops, sorry everyone, I was reading in bed falling asleep, and obviously hit reply...sorry....lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 7

I agree that it must be painted.  There might be a bit of marbling in the fondant but then that 'path' is painted.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%