Local Cake Supply Store You Think Is Best In Your Area

Decorating By CupcakeCali Updated 6 Aug 2016 , 5:12am by kakeladi

CupcakeCali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCali Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 22

Hello fellow cakers!

I thought it would be nice to give a shout out to the local mom and pop cake decorating stores that might be struggling to compete with online venues.  Let's face it, if we didn't have these stores to go to, we'd always have to plan ahead with no last minute changes or allowance for mistakes!

Which local cake stores are your favorites? The ones with quality product, organized displays, possibly demos or classes and great service?

Please don't list online websites, just the local ones that you think are awesome and the area you're in.

I'll start! Janes Cake & Chocolate Supply store has everything you need (and so many things you didn't know you needed) and they are happy to help with ideas and advice for the novice to the professional. Located in La Cañada CA, USA.

Who's next?

21 replies
Chefnme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefnme Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 22

ABC Decorating, Phoenix, AZ. Everytime I go in for one thing,  I Co. E out with  basket full. And they Bring in some of the awesomeness decorators for classes. 

Chefnme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefnme Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 22

ABC Decorating, Phoenix, AZ. Everytime I go in for one thing,  I come out with  basket full. And they Bring in some of the awesomeness decorators for classes. 

sbmclaughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbmclaughlin Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 22

In the Denver, CO area - Cake Crafts, 4105 S Broadway, Englewood, CO 80113.  Every time I try something new, they always give me a quick tutorial on how to use the product - my daughter insisted on cornflower blue pearls on her wedding cake - they carry all sizes of pearl candies, helped me match her color, and then told me how to color them (lightly cover your hands in shortening, then drop pearls in a small ziplock bag with the powder color and shake - best to do small amounts at a time) worked like a charm! Don't live near Denver? They take orders online, or by mail (USPS or email).  You can check out what they carry on their website cakecrafts.net.  It's well worth a day trip or even an overnight stay in the Denver area to visit their store - I can spend hours there lol!

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 22

I don't know of any here in Salt Lake City. We just have Michael's, Zurchers party supplies, and the usual restaurant supply places. (And Hobby Lobby, but have not and will not set foot in one of those.) I get a lot of things I can't find locally on Amazon. If anybody knows any local ones please share!

CupcakeCali Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 12:33am
post #6 of 22

Dar917, I'm so sorry to hear that! I know that many stores have closed their doors due to so many ordering online, but I think we still have to support our local brick and mortar stores in order to keep them around. There are a few products that you can't find in the stores that I couldn't live without, but I love spending time in the store and meeting fellow cakers. :-)

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 12:55am
post #7 of 22

Nothing in Ottawa unfortunately other than the usual: Michaels & Bulkbarn. I usually have to travel elsewhere to get decent cake supplies.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 12:59am
post #8 of 22

Cakes Etc. West Palm Beach. Mary Lee is so helpful and willing to give advice. Her husband is also great.

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 1:24am
post #9 of 22

In Memphis, TN we have Mary Carter's at 733 North White Station.  They are family owned and operated and also have really knowledgeable and helpful staff.  They are always so welcoming and ready to help with any questions I have.  I can't say enough good things about them.  Of course we also have Michael's and Hobby Lobby, but for cake items, it's always Mary Carter's for me!

CupcakeCali Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 2:25am
post #10 of 22

Hey GScout, were you at Soflo this year? A Cali girl who has fabulous molds was there with her company Sugar Art Molds. 

If you ladies haven't checked her out, you should. I'm a mold maniac and her's are by far the best that I've ever used.  Great detail and great quality!

simplysweets134 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweets134 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 11:38am
post #11 of 22

Creative Cake Supplies in Green Bay, WI.  I feel fortunate to have a cake store in a smaller city and the owner runs the best classes and has the best costumer service!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 11:55am
post #12 of 22

Quote by @CupcakeCali on 9 hours ago

Hey GScout, were you at Soflo this year? A Cali girl who has fabulous molds was there with her company Sugar Art Molds. 

If you ladies haven't checked her out, you should. I'm a mold maniac and her's are by far the best that I've ever used.  Great detail and great quality!

Hello, CupcakeCali, No, wish I was. I'm here in SoFla, But did not go to SoFlo smile.png. I'll have to check them out online.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 22

Luckily I am only a hobby baker so I don't need anything that my Walmart doesn't carry. If I did I think I would order it online. I do have lots of cake supply tools on hand and half of the ones I have I have never used anyway. I don't make too many cakes except for a few friends and neighbors birthdays here and there.  All of you people are so very talented and I love looking at your creations which are always a work of art!! You are all awesome decorators!! 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 22

The one and only sweet pan shoppe Rockord, Il (nothern Illinois near southern Wisconsin not far form the Chicago land area). It is family owned and operated. They know cake decorating and are a big help. They have  a lot of items to choose form, and even candy making supplies. It's really easy to get to and is located on IL251 and just off US20 

Aliceinde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliceinde Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 12:49pm
post #15 of 22

Besides shopping online I go to my local store Cannon's Cake and Candy Supplies in Newark, Delaware. Great store they have everything. They also own a separate Bakery, Cannon's cakes.  What is a family-owned Bakery also. They also have classes and learning how to decorate cakes etc.   Plenty of candy supplies also.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 22

Shore Cake Supply in Ocean, NJ 

Candyland Crafts in Sommerville, NJ 

Both are over an hour away from me, but I'd rather travel there than deal with going into NYC (I'm in North Jersey) to go NY Cake. Hate that place! The store, not the city lol!

Bimscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bimscakes Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 22

Sweet N Fancy in Cranford, NJ

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 22

Mae's Cake and Candy in Springfield, IL it's about 40 minutes from me but when I need something in a pinch (a random cutter, edible image etc) that's my go to. They are super friendly and always have the best customer service!! We have a locally owned cake supply store here in my city but I'd rather drive 40 minutes for various reasons lol. Also all my ingredients, boxes boards, bags etc I buy from a local whole sale supplier called Hoeltings they are awesome too! 

we have Walmart, Joanns and Hobby Lobby here as well but I rarely shop there for cake related items. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 10:39pm
post #19 of 22

San Diego County has a fabulous shop with everything you could ever need AND great classes.  The store is Do It With Icing.  It is centrally located in the center of the county and the owners offer their space for the local cake club that is able to raise thousands of dollars each year for our charity:  Ronald McDonald House.  In 2016 the Confections for a Cause cake show raised $10,000 for the Ronald McDonald House!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 1:48am
post #20 of 22

In Carmichael, CA (part of Sacramento), there is a cake shop called Cake Castle.  They have so many cake decorating supplies to help you with your projects and if they don't have it, they know where you can get it.   They also offer cake decorating classes.  Their staff are so helpful and friendly and it's a joy to work with them.  I'm only a hobby baker, but they are helpful to professionals and hobbyists alike.  I took my cake decorating classes there, and that's what got me hooked on decorating cakes.

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 4:30am
post #21 of 22

In Columbus, Ohio...I like Cake Craft, they have a large inventory and priced right.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 5:12am
post #22 of 22

In Central CA there is only 1 store.  "Sweets and things" in Visalia.  I found the owner to be a dower, sour poss but other than WalMart, Michaels and Hobby Lobby that's it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%