Two Questions About Doing Stuff In Advance...

Decorating By Tobylee Updated 15 Jul 2016 , 10:53am by hippiecac

Tobylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tobylee Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:31am
post #1 of 4

How far in advance can I cover my cake drum in mm fondant? Can I do it 2 weeks in advance and just leave it out lightly draped so dust won't get on it? And, in making an EI cake topper which will be applied to freshly rolled and lightly moistened gumpaste, how far ahead can that be made? Thanks so much for any and all advice. 

3 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:44am
post #2 of 4

Yes you can cover the cake drum with fondant 2 weeks in advance, after it has dried keep it dust free and away from light ( colors fade when exposed to light).

I'm not understanding what you are doing with the topper.......but cake toppers can be made in advance, its what most folks do. Gumpaste and fondant decorations cane be made weeks and months in advance. Store dried pieces in a cardboard box lined with parchment paper or tissue paper.

Tobylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tobylee Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:59am
post #3 of 4

The top is a scrabble board. I want to adhere the Edible icing to a rigid plaque of gumpaste ahead of time.  The cake filling is meringue bc and I need to chill filled cake before traveling. I'm also wrapping cake in choc fondant and then laying the plaque on top, gluing with a few puddles of melted choc. I hope that's clear. I'll instruct the caterer to remove the plaque for the birthday boy to take home. Sound reasonable? Thanks.  I'm not too experienced at decorating  

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 10:53am
post #4 of 4

Yes you can cover drum and make topper weeks in advance, as @carolinecakes ‍ said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%