Can't Seem To Get The Right Shade Of Gold

Decorating By sweetlinxo Updated 15 Jul 2016 , 5:48am by bubs1stbirthday

sweetlinxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlinxo Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 5:45am
post #1 of 14

I have old gold, aztec, and super gold luster dust but none of each are the right shade of gold I'm looking for. I've even tinted fondant with a little bit of copper but it still comes out to a real orangey gold. I need the shade to be like Wilton's gold color mist. I'm hoping I could get some suggestions using products I already have. Thank you!

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 14

that's a tough question -- even if I knew what the wilton spray looks like it would be very difficult  to match to random products unless you are very lucky for someone to have those exact same products in those brands -- and if you get success on this exact possibility -- go buy a lottery ticket quick -- I think I'll go buy one too smile.png

it would be easier for someone to know what product matches the wilton stuff 

but I getcha that using up supplies from previous projects is more efficient/economical

i've been itching to get a ticket since that big win in Indiana the other day -- lemme know! :)

sweetlinxo Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 14

Hi @-K8memphis ‍ thank you for replying. I was actually just using the Wilton shade as an example of what the shade should kind of look like (doesn't have to be exact) all the products I've been using looks nothing like gold:( it looks really orangey. And I was wondering how I could make it look like a more true gold. I have attached a pic below of a cake that was airbrushed with old gold luster dust. It was suppose to be gold but thank goodness the school mascot's a tiger so it actually worked out lol. I'm hoping someone could help me soon. I have three cakes coming up with a lot of gold decorations.

[postimage id="4605" thumb="900"]

sweetlinxo Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 14

Btw I forgot to ask what is the easiest way to cover a tier with all gold? I tried airbrushing and it was just a disaster:( @-K8memphis ‍ TIA:)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 14

I'm guessing that the luster dusts you've named aren't edible, so if the product is going to be eaten, then the dusts [or sprays] need to be edible, too.

For an entire cake, I like the ChefMaster gold spray best.  The PME & Wilton are fine, but I don't think they're quite as bright.  Several light coats that dry in between work best.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 14

The best gold spray that I've found is the Chefmaster edible gold. For the first point, it's edible, not just non-toxic, so ti's okay to put on things that will be eaten. It also gives a good coverage and it's drippy like the Wilton was when I compared the two of them.

costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 14

Ha ha, I was typing at the same time as @maybenot ‍ 

costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 14

Oops, just noticed, I meant to say that the Chefmaster is NOT drippy like the Wilton spray.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 14

i trust these ladies' opinions on the best gold spray -- putting gold through an air brush can get it all jammed up just depends on 10,000 variables -- 

you probably already know this but when I air brush or spray paint anything -- i start the stream of spray away fom my target and run it past as the stream is released -- so it's all smoothy smooth -- no big starter burst kwim --

also the prettiest gold I ever used -- and let me hasten to first say that maybenot has convinced me it's not fda approved edible although it is sold as edible - but the prettiest gold I ever used was real gold leaf on my daughter's wedding cake -- also you can get it cheaper but it surely is not real gold then either --

the real stuff is muy expensive however 

go with their ^^^ recommendations on the sprays blush.png

sweetlinxo Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you! Thank you all very much! I really appreciate it. I will search for it online! And thanks for the airbrushing tip @-K8memphis ‍ 

sweetlinxo Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 14

Do you guys tint the fondant before spraying it with the chef master gold spray? Or do you just leave it white? @maybenot @costumeczar ‍ 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 14

I always tint the fondant.  

If I want a bright gold, then I do yellow.  If I want an old gold, I do a tan/brown.  I haven't done a rose gold, but if I did, I'd probably experiment by tinting some fondant a shade of pink.

sweetlinxo Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 5:30am
post #13 of 14

Ok great thank you so much! @maybenot ‍ 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 5:48am
post #14 of 14

The colour of your fondant makes a big difference to the final gold colour you get. I would try mixing up a little bit of terracotta colour then putting gold over it for the orangey gold that the above photo seems to have.

When I have been mucking around with my gold I found painting gold on to a pale orange seemed to give a true gold, white never seemed to give a good colour no matter whether I brushed or painted on. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%