I'm In A Fondant Black Hole!! Help! Carma Massa Fondant - Is It Worth It?

Decorating By sugarbritches Updated 12 Jul 2016 , 12:36am by carolinecakes

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 4

I'm in a fondant black hole.  I've been using Satin Ice but have become disenchanted.  It seems to be so dry and I get elephant skin.  I tried marshmallow fondant and it tastes fabulous but it's kind of hard to work with.  It's not super white - kind of oily and it has pock marks.  I made MIchelle Fosters fondant and I think with trial and error I might be able to perfect it but it's SO hard on my kitchen aid.  I also had a really difficult time kneading it to super smooth.  It seemed to have a lumpy texture that doesn't show when you roll it out but after putting it on my cakes the corners spread and I had a bunch of spots that showed the lumpy underside.  I kneaded and kneaded it and added more glycerine but when you tear it in half it's not smooth.  Suggestions?  I really want to make my own but in the mean time I want to try Carma Massa.  I am REALLY slow to jump on the Carma bandwagon.  I've read so much about it on the threads but none are recent threads.  I live in dry climate and read it's great for humid climates - what about dry?  Also I looked on their website - but it was terrible - I couldn't find anything about basic white fondant.  So weird - just about their new colored fondant line.  THis is a stupid question  Is Carma massa fondant the same as the ticino tropic or is that the full name?  If you buy it, what website is best place in US to order it?  So far I can tell that shipping is going to kill me.  Amazon please add this to your Prime list of products!!

3 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 4

I had the same trouble with Satin Ice and that's when I tried Updated Michelle Foster's Fondant and that is what I always use. I follow the recipe exactly and I have never had any problems, I love it.

Carma Massa Ticino Tropic is the full name, many rate it as the best fondant on the market.

Here's a link that has a info.....

https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/fondant-massa-throwdown/

HTH

Mazza92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mazza92 Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4

I love it! it can be rolled thinly and haven't experience any "elephant skin" or ripping as it is stretchy. I don't enjoy the taste of fondant and cakes as it it's too sweet for me, but my boyfriend and mother-in-law say it tastes lovely, where as other brands they've said were pretty bland. They are normally called 'massa ticino sugarpaste' on the package with the name of the colour including "bride white" in the uk, not sure if it is packaged differently in other countries. The "tropic" version is made for countries with high humidity and comes in a 7kg bucket under the name "White Carma Massa Ticino Tropic" but haven't seen the tropic version in any other colours. Either way it's still a popular choice even in the UK and all made by the same company. Can't tell you what it's like in dry areas or where to buy it america I'm afraid, but I can say in my opinion it is well worth the money. Hope you find this useful anyways :)

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 12:36am
post #4 of 4

This is the recipe I use.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Are you letting it set overnight? Over-kneading can be a problem too. It's really important that you follow the recipe exactly. Yes its hard on your KA, but that's why I have one, can't imagine trying to make it by hand.

I'm a hobbyists and the first time I made it, I felt like I discovered the holy grail of fondant. It tastes delicious, is easy to work with, and saves me money. I always have a batch on hand and color with americolor as I need after it has set overnight and have great results.

Here are links for US suppliers....

https://www.amazon.com/Carma-Massa-Ticcino-Rolling-Tropical/dp/B00C90538S

http://www.globalsugarart.com/carma-massa-ticino-tropic-rolling-fondant-white-kg-15-pounds-p-32393.html
You can get 20 percent off your first order. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%