Cake Central Magazine

Decorating By meghanm Updated 12 Jul 2016 , 2:22pm by cakebaby2

meghanm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanm Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone received an email from cake central magazine saying the following?

"I am very interested in working with you on an project for an upcoming issue of Cake Central Magazine. This is an exclusive invitation to be showcased alongside the best cakemakers in the world. I have selected only a few people to participate in this issue and am excited to see your inspired work.If you are interested and can submit professional photos by.."

I'm really interested in doing this as I am just a home baker, but I want to make sure it is legitimate before I take the time to make a cake for the specific theme that it is asking for. 

5 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 6

I do know that there were issues about people getting their magazines in the past... but I don't keep up with it and am unsure if there is still even a magazine...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 1:01am
post #3 of 6

What's the return email address? It would have come from a "someone@"cakecentral.com address if it's really from CC. I was asked to contribute once but the lead time was so short and the invitation was so vague I didn't do it. But they do contact people by email when they're looking for contributors.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 6

maybe message Leannew on here she is the editor I believe -- I got to write for it once and it was quite a thrill -- hope it all goes well

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 6

I have just received my second such email. I am a hobby baker and I wondered, with the first offer, if it were a hoax from a tech-savvy friend. It was genuine and I was so excited to have my cake in Cake Central Magazine. (A pity they don't still produce the printed versions; I would love to have a copy to keep.

The time frame was very short and the professional photos expensive. For a professional cake decorator/artist, this could be valuable advertising. You get to use an "as featured in ....." badge on photos of your cake and, of course, you get to use your professional photos as you like afterwards.

For me it was an exciting, challenging and self-affirming project. Just don't get hung up on the proposed publishing dates; the publication was quite late but it eventually came out.

I have just received my second offer. This time I don't feel personally inspired by the inspiration photo,  the time frame is too short and I am not really in a position to hire a professional photographer right now. 

So your offer is very likely genuine; by all means, check its authenticity for peace of mind but you won't have much time to spare. Wishing you all the best. I hope you have an exciting time and that we get to see your lovely creation soon.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 6

I got one of those last year but didn't reply to it, as like you I am a strictly hobby baker. As K8 says, e-mail Leanne or Jackie to see if its genuine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%