Decoding Wilton Product Expiration Dates

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 8 Jul 2016 , 8:09pm by maybenot

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 3

Some of you may have already figured this out.  But I was going to through some Wilton products to determine if it was time to discard and replace them.  After looking at some of the items, I could not find any expiration dates.  I only found codes stamped on the products.  I called Wilton's customer service to find out what the codes mean.  Below is the explanation of how to decode the Wilton numbers to figure out what their expiration is.  But I still don't understand why companies have to use codes instead of just putting the date.  Here is the email I received from Wilton.  I hope it helps anyone like me who didn't know how to find their expiration dates:

Dear Brenda,

Thank you for contacting Wilton! We apologize for the delayed response.

We thank you for your interest in our products.

Wilton Meringue powder is freshest if used within 24 months.

There are stamped codes on the product (Ex: 13079505)

First two digits: year so this would have been made in the year 2013

Next three digits, 079: Julian date, so this would have been made on the 79th day of the year (March 20th)

So the Meringue powder you have was freshest if use till March 20th of 2015, since they were made in 2013 and they are good for 2 years.  If the items you have are out of their freshness range (anything after March 2015) they are not harmful if consumed, they may just not perform as a fresh batch would.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

We appreciate your business.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 3

Good to know. Thank you fir sharing the information.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 3

On a side note, I keep my meringue powder in the freezer, where it lasts ???????? forever???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%