Black - Michele Foster’S Updated Fondant Recipe

Decorating By fathima_sl Updated 12 Jul 2016 , 3:17am by carolinecakes

fathima_sl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fathima_sl Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone tried to make @Sugarflowers ‍ fondant recipe and tried coloring it black? 

I know using cocoa powder will give me a deep lack but I'm not sure how much to use? Any advice would be really helpful

thanks in advance

12 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 3:14am
post #2 of 13

I may not be much help here, just wanted to say the I use her fondant recipe and I love it. I have colored it black using americolor black but in small quantities for making toppers and decorations, not enough to cover a cake. Also I have had good results coloring it navy blue for covering a cake, using americolor blue and black. Sorry I have not tried the cocoa powder, have you tried sending her a PM?

carolinecakes Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 4:01am
post #3 of 13

It's a slow Friday night  and I got curious and found this in an old thread........

"Start with chocolate fondant. I make MMF with hershey special dark cocoa powder, it's a deep rich brown. I add the cocoa powder to my powdered sugar before adding to the marshmallow. Then I add americolor super black gel color. It works great, you don't have to use as much coloring, so it doesn't affect the consistency of fondant as much. If you find that you're fondant is too sticky or has lost it's elasticity, try adding corn starch or shortening."

Could work with MFF......time to experiment.....

fathima_sl Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 9:28am
post #4 of 13

Thankyou Carolinecakes!! I guess I'll have to just play around with the cocoa powder ratios! 

YYYUP time to experiment *wink wink*

carolinecakes Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 13

You are welcome!! I would love to know your results, if you don't mind sharing. Good Luck!!

fathima_sl Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 13

I'll post in the same thread ^_^ 

carolinecakes Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 13

I will see if it lets me post.......

fathima_sl Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 13

used sugarflower's recipe,

i halved the Cream, gelatin, corn syrup BUT kept the butter as 3 table spoon, and DID NOT use glycerin. Heated everything. Added 1/2 teaspoon Wilton black when the liquid mixture was slightly warm to the touch (We don't have americolor where I live) 

Measure 600g confectioners/ icing sugar + 60g cocoa powder (I just used normal cocoa! Not dark/ black) and sift it Atleast twice to get rid of lumps then mix in the room temperature liquid.

add a mixture of icing sugar and corn flour/ starch if it's too sticky 

^_^ hope this makes sense :D

UPDATE: ADD the glycerine

carolinecakes Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 13

Glad you were able to post again. I was wondering why you left out the glycerine?

I find that Cornstarch can dry out the fondant, if the fondant is too sticky, I knead in a little PS - powdered sugar (icing sugar).

I think that is what is causing the elephant skin on one side. Try kneading in a little glycerine to the fondant.

fathima_sl Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 13

This fondant wasn't sticky *sob sob* but I did use cornstarch

carolinecakes Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 12:17am
post #11 of 13

When I make the recipe, I follow the instructions exactly, and I have good results every time. It makes a huge batch ( for me since I'm a hobby baker) but it stores well. I let is set overnight.

The changes you made to the recipe may be another the reason for the elephant skin. So I'm thinking,  next time follow the recipe add the black color to the liquid like you did and add the cocoa powder to the powdered sugar.

I use a wilton mat to roll out the fondant, this way I use very little powdered sugar and I rub shortening on my hands. There are better more expensive mats but this works for me. HTH

fathima_sl Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 3:05am
post #12 of 13

Yuuuup!! I'll try the mat next time ^_^ Thankyou Caroline

carolinecakes Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 3:17am
post #13 of 13

You're welcome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%