Yawn Yawn Bakesafe Colourings....again!

Baking By gfbaby Updated 22 Jul 2016 , 8:59am by gfbaby

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 9:59am
post #1 of 16

Oh dear. I'm so sorry. This old nut again. But I can't find that anyone's cracked it yet and if they have they're keeping it a big secret...

I'm still seeking the holy grail... colouring that won't turn grey or yucky pastel when it hits the oven. I'm so fed up with having to waste (meh...cooks perks but my waistline now looks like a flabby muffin..) all the edges to get to the bright colour in the middle of my cakes and having to bake much bigger cakes than I need just to accommodate that wastage. 

I've tried all the normal uk varieties (lovely internal colours but not on Macs) and am now wondering if spreading my wings Ozward or Usward might bring me more joy...? Any of yous guys got any recommendations / comments / suggestions please pretty please..?

15 replies
kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 16

Hi there.  Are you having trouble with a particular color or are you finding they all turn grey or pastel?  To date, I've not experienced this problem.  I just use Wilton concentrated gel paste which I understand is meant as an icing color but they work for me to color my batter.  I've done pink, purple, greens, brown, black and red all with good results. My cakes are baked at 325F with time depending on the size of the cake.

Most recently I did a surprise inside cake with the Canada flag.  The red color actually looked more red than it did before I baked it.

Not sure if I'm any help but that is my experience.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 16

I whiten my cake batter with white food coloring (Wilton) before tinting with colors (Americolor). It helps maintain a truer color during baking. 

gfbaby Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 16

Quote by @hippiecac on 45 minutes ago

I whiten my cake batter with white food coloring (Wilton) before tinting with colors (Americolor). It helps maintain a truer color during baking. 

Thanks for the reply; I have white icing colouring but only a small pot. I'm in the UK so wilton stuff is a bit gold dust and mega expensive here! However if it's actually bakesafe, I'll make the effort and import it! My issue is with making coloured cakes ie rainbow cakes, where I get the colour in the centre- as I said but the outsides are kinda grey. Macaroons etc too. Pastel colours aren't an issue- just when I need vibrant purples etc. 

Maybe it's the pyrodextrines causing the grey... and I should just stick to pastel Macs..?

What I was hoping was that SOMEONE might have come across a truly bakesafe make of food colouring and might share....???? Guess I'm being ambitious. 

gfbaby Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 16

Sorry hippiecak- I'm having one of those days....!!!

I have a pot (just the one!!!) of americolor fluorescent pink which is totally excellent but had to be shipped. I've never used it for food- just icing as its liquid not gel? If all the americolor colours are THAT good- maybe it might be worth me investing...

I understand that the whitening agent is titanium dioxide or something similar and reported to be quite toxic..?? Does it not worry you to use large quantities of it in baking? It sounds like an excellent idea..but I'm a tad concerned about the risks..? I use it sparingly for decorating- but I do mean sparingly. That's NOT a criticism- merely a query. 

hippiecac Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 16

Hey GF, no criticism taken :)

I don't know the toxicity of white coloring, but I assume everything Wilton makes is considered to be "safe"....taken with a grain of salt of course, because who knows if it truly is!!!

Here's pics of layers using Americolor gels. I think they worked out well:

[postimage id="4544" thumb="900"][postimage id="4545" thumb="900"]

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 16

Trucolour..several bakers I know sat it's terrfic. Drawbacks..it's expensive for shipping. I can get it in Canada, but from an oline Canadian store that's pricey. There based in USA..so for you, I'm sure will be prohibitive. Another are Rainbow brand dusts and colours. Probably too $$$ for you to import. What about checking out online European stores??? 

gfbaby Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 16

Quote by @hippiecac on 16 hours ago

Hey GF, no criticism taken :)I don't know the toxicity of white coloring, but I assume everything Wilton makes is considered to be "safe"....taken with a grain of salt of course, because who knows if it truly is!!!

Here's pics ........

(Frustrated sigh at being a complete bozo technophobe...but I got SOME of your quote without the entire but beautiful pics..!!)

These are fantastic! Which confirms my previous thought re americolor... Did you have to cut the outer edges off or am I dreaming? Sugarflair is quite true..but in icing. When it comes to cakage- your americolor wins hands down!! 

Quote by @jchuck on 14 hours ago

Trucolour..several bakers I know sat it's terrfic. Drawbacks..it's expensive for shipping. I can get it in Canada, but from an oline Canadian store that's pricey. There based in USA..so for you, I'm sure will be prohibitive. Another are Rainbow brand dusts and colours. Probably too $$ for you to import. What about checking out online Eurotpean stores??? 

Um...bit of a political situation going on here just now re the European stores...I'm guessing it might be just as cheap for me to import from USA or Canada- or maybe I'm catastrophisising like the rest of Britain! Regardless, much thanks and I shall look into both these suggestions. I have connections in Canada (my brother lives in BC) so might be able to get him to help- he's also a keen chef so would understand. 

So. Many thanks. I now have several avenues to explore; I'm thinking the americolor road may be my first port of call. Those photos really impressed me compared to my pathetic offerings!! 

Now, onto Google.... Wish me luck!! X :-)

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 16

Yes good luck. Seems to me there's a Canadian online cake retailer in BC. Can't remember the name. Shipped to your brothets place would be cheap. Thrn he could forward to you.

hippiecac Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks @gfbaby ‍!  I didn't trim the edges - they baked true right to the edge. Good luck on your color quest :)

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 16

You can get Rainbow Dust colourings from several UK suppliers and Design-a-Cake sell pots of Wilton for £1.49 a pot :).

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 16

and a set of 12 Americolors on Amazon.co.uk

gfbaby Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 7:14am
post #13 of 16

Quote by @MikeRowesHunny on 9 hours ago

and a set of 12 Americolors on Amazon.co.uk

Mmmm.... seems there might be a little bit of an issue with using americolor in the UK... our regs don't allow us to use one of the essential ings (red) used in many of the colours- apparently ok in small icing detail but not for cake if it's for retail. Needs some more research. There's a useful article on pretty witty cakes (and if I wasn't such a technophobe I'd include a link..!) explaining very clearly the UK restrictions and which ones are legal.. 

Much gratitude for the info tho..! 

gfbaby Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 7:22am
post #14 of 16

Quote by @hippiecac on 13 hours ago

Thanks @gfbaby ‍!  I didn't trim the edges - they baked true right to the edge. Good luck on your color quest :)

That's amazing!! And precisely what I'm aiming at! 

Quote by @jchuck on 15 hours ago

Yes good luck. Seems to me there's a Canadian online cake retailer in BC. Can't remember the name. Shipped to your brothets place would be cheap. Thrn he could forward to you.

Thanx-will look into this x

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Jul 2016 , 6:28am
post #15 of 16

Coming at this from a different angle, could you try wrapping your cake pan in newspaper?

When I want to do a light coloured cake and keep the edges light I fold a half sheet of newspaper to the height of my cake tin (3 inch) then wet and wrap it wound my cake tin - you will need more than one sheet to go the distance. I also sit the tins on a baking tray with wet newspaper on them.

I don't bother covering the top as I always trim them but you could if you also wanted the top to stay truer.

gfbaby Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 8:59am
post #16 of 16

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 10 Jul 2016 , 6:28am

Coming at this from a different angle, could you try wrapping your cake pan in newspaper?

When I want to do a light coloured cake and keep the edges light I fold a half sheet of newspaper to the height of my cake tin (3 inch) then wet and wrap it wound my cake tin - you will need more than one sheet to go the distance. I also sit the tins on a baking tray with wet newspaper on them.

I don't bother covering the top as I always trim them but you could if you also wanted the top to stay truer.

At the w/e I made an ombre blue cake to see how my sugarflairs came out. I do always put folded foil as a collar round my pme tins but have never tried underneath as well-will give that a go. However. The resulting dissappointing and disastrous coloured almond cakes were testament to the fact that it's my colourings 100%. I've taken the plunge and ordered a set of americolor gels and I'll have to work around the UK legal restrictions and regulations etc. 

I didn't use colouring at all until the last year or so due to family food intolerance and personal foibles..but now I find its a minefield!! Luckily I don't make a huge amount of coloured cakes anyway but I'd like to perfect it anyway..if only from a professional tenacity.

Many thanks for all the replies and help and HAPPY BAKING! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%