Can Chocolate Fondant Be Colored Black?

Baking By Nat1980 Updated 1 Jul 2016 , 9:02pm by Nat1980

Nat1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nat1980 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get the color black if I add black food coloring to some homemade chocolate fondant or should I just buy it pre-made. I know I've tried making black fondant from white fondant and it just turns gray. 

Thanks,

Natalie

4 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 5

I've successfully done it with AmeriColor's Super Black. Added it to the corn syrup mixture before adding in the powdered sugar (I uses MFF, though I am sure it would be the same with MMF).  You could also use black cocoa powder, but I have not personally tried that yet...next on my list for trial recipes.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 5

You can also do a modeling chocolate using black candy melts. It's the easiest way to get black without the mess of coloring. But I agree with 640 it's easiest to mix the color with the liquids before adding the powdered sugar if you want to go that route. I add it to the water when making MMF.

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

Im uk based and I added a pack of renshaw black sugarpaste to dark modelling chocolate which made a very acceptable black if you only want small highlighting pieces... I added powder black and made it even darker but it made the paste a bit dry and bumped up the cost some.

However; pastrybaglady's suggestion of using black candymelts (if they are available at a reasonable price where you live which they aren't where I live) sounds like the way to go! 

Nat1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nat1980 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all!! This is very helpful..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%