Mmf Fondant Or No?

Decorating By meghanm Updated 4 Jul 2016 , 3:01pm by carolinecakes

meghanm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanm Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 9

So up until recently I had only been using MMF fondant, it tastes better than the fondant that I have found in stores and is usually quite a bit cheaper. However in a more recent cake I decided to pick up a box of the Wilton Fondant and realized how much easier it is! Besides the mess that comes with making my own, no matter how many times I make MMF I still have days where I cannot get the consistency right, it is either too hard or too soft. What do you all think? Should I stick with MMF or are there some really good tasting fondants out there?!

8 replies
soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 9

I have to agree with you regarding the inconsistencies..although I am just a hobby baker at present...I started with mmf but needed a rush cake and used Wilton's and found it to be a lot faster..and easier. I thought it was because I was a newbie and I was just not used to mmf yet but maybe not....or maybe so...I dunno. I have found that if you need a colored fondant, it is easier to used pre-made because adding too much gel can effect the consistency. Humidity can too, obviously. I also tried Hobby Lobby's teal fondant and it was a severe FAIL..it cracked and was dry..I could have gotten a bad box [it was the last one on the shelf]. The newer Wilton's Decorator's Preferred tastes better nowadays.

I am going to try LMF which is the combo of the two as I hear/read great things about that. She uses a KA and I used my counter top to make the mmf which was a huge mess and aggravating cleanup.

Just my two sense  :-)

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 9

I love working with MMF, but it is finicky if my house is humid. I work with a fan nearby and that helps greatly. I have even mixed Wilton fondant with MMF, the taste is still great.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 9

Here's my two cents...wilton may be easier to work with but as far as taste goes its blah.  I use to use Satin Ice which IMO is so much better than wilton, but started having issues with it drying out. That's when I  tried Michelle Foster's Fondant, and have never looked back. Its a dream to work with,  tastes delicious, and its cheaper to make than to buy ready made. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 9
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 9

I use LMF as well and love it.  Fondant is very fickle.  You have to experiment and see what works for your environment.  Even with LMF, it took me about a year to get to "know" it and how it behaves in different seasons/weather.  I adjust the recipe depending on all that.

The best thing is the price.  Homemade fondant is much cheaper and that adds to your profits :)  I've been making it so long now that I can mix up a batch in about 10 mins and I will usually just make 4-5 batches at once because it lasts forever if stored properly.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 9

I think it comes down to what you have more of - money or time and then work from there.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 9

Consistency is tough with homemade MMF.  I honestly think weather plays a huge part.  I try to mix Wilton's with homemade because it is cheaper and helps get consistency I want.  But if I am going to add Tylose or it is for a special cake, like a groom's cake, I stick with the Wilton's for my peace of mind.  I just use fondant for decorations, not for covering a cake.  All my customers want buttercream.  

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 9

Here are links to some info regarding ready made fondants.......

http://www.craftsy.com/article/fondant-brand-comparison

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2013/08/fondant-comparison-7-contenders-no.html

Taste is a personal preference thing, I use MICHELLE FOSTER'S FONDANT for everything -  to cover my cakes, to make a quick gum paste for making flowers, cake toppers/figures, name plaques etc.

To make the quick gum paste I add tylose powder the fondant. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%